We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Cebu
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Hi. We are a family of 4 going to Osaka for 7 full days. Did some research as suggested by Guerilla. So far, I have come up with the following. Pls comment. Thanks.

Day 1 - Evening arrival 7:55pm in Osaka. Will go direct to Kyoto from Osaka airport & check in @ Super Hotel Kyoto Shijokawaramachi. I don't know if this is a good idea.

Day 2 - Kyoto

Day 3 - Kyoto

Day 4- Kyoto

Day 5 - Early morning move out to Osaka. Check in at Hotel Chuo Oasis Osaka.

Day 6- Osaka

Day 7 - Day trip to Nara. Return to Osaka.

Day 8 - Last day in Osaka. Evening flight 8:40pm.

Am planning to get ICOCA. I don't know if I should also get Kyoto City Bus Pass.

Pls help on how to arrange the following sites with transport options. Pls suggest which to prioritize coz I know it's impossible to do everything.

1. Osaka - Universal Studios, Minami (Namba), Osaka Castle, Kita (Umeda), Umeda Sky Bldg, Osaka Bay Area. If time permit, might include Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine, Shitennoji Temple, Shinsekai Tsutenkaku Tower, Osaka Station City, Minoo Park, Tenmangu Shrine

2. Kyoto - Kiyomizudera Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kinkakuji Temple, Ginkakuji Temple, Arashiyama, Sanjusangendo, Nijo Castle, Gion, Kyoto Imperial Palace, Philosopher's Path, Nishiki Market. If time permit, Higashiyama, Shugakuin Villa, Kokedera, Katsura Villa, Byodoin Temple, Ninnaji Temple, Nanzenji Temple

3. Nara - Todaiji Temple, Horyuji Temple, Isuien Garden, Nara Park, Kofukuji Temple, Kasuya Taisha, Yoshikien Garden, Omizutori

Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

1. Osaka - I recommend visiting Horyuji instead of Shitennoji Temple. Mino-o Park is quite far away from central Osaka, and Tenmangu Shrine is better in Kyoto.

2. Kyoto - Kyoto Imperial Palace might be skipped. Byodoin Temple is now under restoration.

3. Nara - Omizutori is an event, not a place name. Horyuji is a bit away from central Nara; you might do it on another day from Osaka.

As for transport: we can't find out everything for you, but the below should answer to most of your questions.

Kyoto: …kyoto.jp/koho/…basunabieigo-rosenn.pdf ; jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-503.pdf

Osaka: http://www.osaka-info.jp/agent/gb/en.pdf ; jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-505.pdf

Nara: http://narashikanko.or.jp/en/ ; jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-507.pdf

Cebu
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Thanks Yobeekool. I have follow-up questions.

1. Is it ok to go direct to Kyoto from the airport? We will be arriving 7:55pm in Osaka.

2. Are my hotels in Kyoto & Osaka ok?

3. Are my 7 days distributed well on those 3 places?

4. Is it a good idea to get ICOCA? Should I also get Kyoto City Bus Pass or should I stick to rail? Bus might be confusing to foreigners.

5. On those attractions listed, which should I prioritize based on my duration since they are too many ?

6. Should Nara day trip be done from Osaka or Kyoto?

7. Is it better to stay in Kyoto rather than commuting from Osaka from day 2-4?

Thanks again.

Cebu
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

By the way, this trip is from May 21-28. Thanks.

Cebu
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Hi Yobeekool & everyone. This trip is from May 21-28. We are now 5 pax going. Have follow-up questions regarding my itinerary posted above as follows:

1. In Kyoto, is it better value to take subway plus taxi from the subway stations closest to the attractions than buses since we're 5 pax? Can a taxi take 5 pax?

2. Is it good value to get the roundtrip ICOCA & Haruka package at Osaka airport? What type should we get & how much is it? Aside from this, do you recommend getting other passes useful for our trip?

3. Are my hotels in Kyoto & Osaka ok?

4. About my itinerary, are my 7 days distributed well on those 3 places Osaka, Kyoto & Nara?

5. Of those attractions listed on Osaka, Kyoto & Nara, which should I prioritize based on my duration in each place since they are too many?

6. If we take the Kyoto bus, which online site can we download the bus map in English?

Hope to hear from you. Pls advise. Thanks!

Edited: 12 February 2013, 11:34
Cebu
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Hi. Someone suggested that on Day 5, we might as well go to Nara for a day trip from Kyoto instead of going to Osaka. My question is should we stay the night in Kyoto after coming back from Nara on a day trip or proceed to Osaka to stay the night there? Or can we just wait for the following morning to go to Osaka & spend time there til the end of our trip? Pls advise. Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Hi, I note that your itinerary is exactly what I am planning in November to Osaka/Nara/Kyoto. Btw, how was your trip to Japan in May? Hope you had a good time there.

I am wondering if you could share your experience or perhaps letme know the places you guys visited and also the transportation in accordance to your agenda during your stay there ? Planning to go Arashiyama from Kyoto...how to get there if you could share with me?

In Nara, would half a day be sufficient?

Plan to buy the ICOCA HARUKA pass ....it is helpful?

Hope to hear from you. Thanks in advance!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Yea you can do a day trip to Nara. Go in the morning, back by late afternoon.

For Arashiyama, you can take either the bus or trains from Kyoto. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

What I did was to take the bus to Arashiyama and take the train back to Kyoto Station.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
54 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Yes, Haruka Pass and ICOCA card is useful, especially the ICOCA card for non-Japanese speaker like us. Many foods vending machine and small stores also accept payment using ICOCA Card, save us the trouble of counting Yen.

If you are staying around Kyoto Station, then no worry about the transport. The JR, underground, bus and taxi is just few steps away. We will be there again this November, this is our 3rd trips to Kyoto in 3 years. haha.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Thanks for the information.

What about the Kansai Thru Pass versus ICOCA-HARUKA? Will be staying somewhere near KIyomizudera temple...what do you think?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Days Itinerary - Kyoto, Osaka, Nara

Suppose Kansai Thru Pass is valid for 3 days at 5000yen.

cheapest KIX to Kyoto trip costs 1200yen

cheapest Nagahoribashi to KIX trip costs 1000yen

one ride subway/train/bus costs within a city costs 200yen

if you ride subway/train/bus 14times, 5000yen KTP pays off.

Why is KTP sold at 5000yen? because it can be used for a day trip to Himeji or Mt Koya. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_005.html