We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with TRAIN PASS for Japan Vacation!

Tamuning, Mariana...
Level Contributor
18 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Help with TRAIN PASS for Japan Vacation!

Hello!!!

This is my families (myselrf, husband, & 2 children) 4 time going to Japan..However, we usually rely on free shuttle bus and limobus as means of transportation. This is the first time we will be venturing out from where we usually frequent in Japan. My question is, what is the most hassle free and budget friendly way of getting around? I've heard of JR passes and SUICA but we have never used passes, we always buy tickets as we get to each station...

Here is our itinerary:

Day 1: Narita to Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay (check-in/LIMOBUS)

Day 2: Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay to Tokyo Bay Aquarium

Day 3: Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay to Fuji Q Highland

Day 4: Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay to Yokohama Cosmoworld

Day 5: Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay to Yokohama Sea Paradise

Day 6: Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay to Yomiuriland

Day 7: Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay to Toshimaen

Day 8: Disney

Day 9: Disney

Day 10: Disney

Day 11: Disney

Day 12: Hilton Hotel Tokyo Bay to Hotel Keihan Universal City

Day 13: Hotel Keihan Universal City to Dotombori/Floating Garden Observatory/Hep-5

Day 14: Hotel Keihan Universal City to Hirakata Amusement Park

Day 15: Hotel Keihan Universal City to Universal Studios

Day 16: Hotel Keihan Universal City to Universal Studios

Day 17: Hotel Keihan Universal City to Kansai Airport (LIMOBUS)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,418 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with TRAIN PASS for Japan Vacation!

I don't think you will need any passes as they won't pay off. Just get Suica for traveling within Tokyo and ICOCA for Osaka if you don't want to lose the deposit on Suica.

I suppose you know your traveling pace well and that your goal is to spend time at the theme parks with your children. You have a lot of days for theme parks and nothing else.

By the way, Umeda's Sky Building's Floating Garden isn't really worth the detour. It's not very close to central Umeda either.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 16:00
Tamuning, Mariana...
Level Contributor
18 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with TRAIN PASS for Japan Vacation!

Thank you for the heads up :)

3. Re: Help with TRAIN PASS for Japan Vacation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:12