We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online Reservations for Katsura Imperial Villa

San Diego
2 posts
Save Topic
Online Reservations for Katsura Imperial Villa

Has anybody been able to make an online reservation for Katsura Imperial Villa? (sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/order/index_EN.html)

I am traveling to Kyoto at the beginning of September and would really like to make a reservation but have been unable to figure out how to do it from abroad. We will only be in Kyoto for a week and from what I have read, that is not enough time to secure a reservation after arriving. Thanks for any help.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Online Reservations for Katsura Imperial Villa

rubydog,

I just checked the website. Good news is that you looked at the correct site. Bad news is that everything in September is sold out. As of now, they have only 10am on 10/15 left for October, and a few spots on 11/1, 11/9, 11/10 & 11/30.

Katsura Imperial Villa is extreamly popular among Japanese tourists as many Japanese, including me, consider that it is the best Japanese gardens in Kyoto. I don't know whether they have a waiting list or not, but you may want to e-mail them to find out if you can be on the list.

San Diego
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Online Reservations for Katsura Imperial Villa

Thanks for the feedback, I guess next time I should try to book a reservation much farther in advance!

rubydog

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online Reservations for Katsura Imperial Villa

Eddoko - is there a website in English - we'll also be in Kyoto 10/1-14 an would like to visit the Imperial Villa - thanks, I'll check on the link if you could reply.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online Reservations for Katsura Imperial Villa

At one time it was possible to contact them once you are in Japan, maybe ask your hotel to help you with it. There is something about being a foreign visitor, you need to show your passport.....I don't remember HOW, but a friend of mine arranged it once just two days in advance from a hotel in Japan. This was several years ago, so procedures may have changed, but if you can't get reservations before you leave it's worth a try! It really is the ultimate garden experience.

Be sure to do some reading about the characteristics of Japanese gardens before you visit, it will heighten your appreciation of the experience.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Online Reservations for Katsura Imperial Villa

Thank you Japantravelteacher - I did find the English website and it does look like there is nothing available for the Villa in October! Another time I guess. . .