We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hangzhou to Wuxi

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
159 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Hangzhou to Wuxi

Hello,

I am flying to Hangzhou in September, from there I need to go to Wuxi for a couple of business meetings. I checked the train schedule, there are only 2 D trains from Hangzhou to Wuxi, one at 7:50 am (too early), the other at 8:15 pm (too late). Any other choices on how to get there relatively fast?

Also, I have 3-4 days to spend before I go to Beijing, which place should I use as my "base"? Hangzhou, Suzhou (both places I haven't been to before) or Shanghai? I am more familiar with Shanghai.

Thank you!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hangzhou to Wuxi

Check out bus schedule, it has more frequent departures to Wuxi, from the East Bus Depot.

I would prefer Hangzhou as the 'base', it has more to offer in terms of sightseeing or relaxation, or take day-trips to other interesting cities like Shaoxin, Qiandao Hu, etc. Or even to Huang Shan Mountains, or East part of Zhejiang mountains.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hangzhou to Wuxi

You may want to consider Shanghai has your base. There are many D train from Shanghai to Wuxi (at least once every hour), Shanghai to Hangzhou, Shanghai to Suzhou as well. Shanghai would be a good base since you need to go to the various locations.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
159 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hangzhou to Wuxi

Thank you both.

Yes I'm leaning on using Shanghai as a base.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hangzhou to Wuxi

I would perhaps take a D train that goes to Shanghai main train station, and then change to another D train going to Wuxi.

If you have 3-4 days before going to Beijing, you might not want to backtrack all the way to Hangzhou since that's in the opposite direction to Beijing. Are you perhaps able to do some sightseeing in Hangzhou before you leave for Wuxi?

I would recommend seeing Nanjing and Yangzhou in your spare days. Nanjing has plenty of worthy historical sights including the Nanjing Massacre Memorial, the tomb of the 1st Ming dynasty emperor (this is a UNESCO World Heritage site), the tomb of Sun Yat-Sen etc. Yangzhou has a nice Slender West Lake and also a couple of nice gardens and traditional teahouses. It's considerably less famous than Suzhou but also generally less crowded but the gardens are really quite nice.

If you have any more queries, email me at ellyse99@yahoo.com and put "TripAdvisor" and your own username (eg EliasNYC) in the subject line.

5. Re: Hangzhou to Wuxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 11:46