We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

I had the pleasure of using Eric's services while I was in xian.

He speaks very good english. You can carry on a conversation with him without having to repeat yourself. He was an exchange student to the US for 6 months 10 years ago.

He drives a nice chinese made air conditioned sedan. He said he also has a minivan if you need more capacity.

Eric has been very prompt in answering emails and taking initiative that surprised me. I first contacted him last year 2010 and agreed on a price for an " east line " tour. I also told him that we wanted to visit the panda in xian but that it was closed. However a certain hostel said that they can arrange it. He actually called the panda station for me and emailed me the results. Didn't expect him to do so.

I saw his website this year. His prices have increased due to the increase in gas prices but he told me that he will honor our agreement made last year.

He is a safe driver; doesn't go too fast, and was on time. I was very happy with his service and so was my family

His email address: xianerss@gmail.com

Phone number:13289397418

his chinese name is lizheng xu

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

Thanks for posting this. It's great you found such a good guide.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

If he met your expectations, bigwawao, then his quality must be great.

His prices seem a bit high, especially when compared with taxi fares. If you are making simple transfers, with no need for English, then you can get cheaper from taxi or take airport bus for 20 yuan. As always in China, I would make a lesser offer if I were to be hiring a driver. "List" prices, like rack rates, are usually a starting spot for vendors..

One clarification, is he an English-speaking driver or an English-speaking driver-guide? Did he go into places with you to explain things, or wait in the car? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

Hi SBS. sorry for the late reply. He is just an english speaking driver but a great one. the price I paid him was at par with the others that I have read over hear on the xian forum and and those who PM me right after I started posting and asking questions last year. At least it was not like this experience

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298557-i7579-k476…

I will send you a PM.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

hi there, wonder if anyone can advise if it is more sensible to pre-arrange transportation (private car in this case, I am not sure if taxis can be pre-arranged) for hotel to airport for early morning departures. our flight leaves at 8am, I heard that check-ins closes one hour before departure. with an hour travelling from town to airport (is this correct), I assume we should leave half past 5 in the morning to get to the airport 6am? Not sure how easy to order taxis at this hour of the day.

Any advise will be appreciated......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

Hi melb.

My personal experience was going to the new Xian High Speed Train station which was much much further away from the city center. My departure was 800 a.m. I originally wanted a cab. But after careful consideration, I decided it was not worth the angst of calling a cab that early, getting the chance that they want a flat rate, etc. I was impressed with eric and so I asked if he was free and he said yes. He was on time and brought us straight to the train station at that early hour (630).

my take, if you are not sure of the taxi logistics, take a private car. more expensive but saves some headache.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

We stayed in the HQ apartments in Xi'an and they arranged for a car to take us to the airport in the very early morning. The price I forget, but it was reasonable and the car was there on time.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

Hi

I have booked Eric in September. Do you think it appropriate if I asked him to get train tickets for me to Shanghai and if so how would I pay him?

Best Wishes

Edited: 17 September 2011, 00:46
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

He did agree to buy my tickets for me but it did not go thru simply because of the new train rules wherein I need my passport to buy the G or D train tickets.

Why don't you ask him (phone or email). He is very easy to talk with.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

Thanks will email him. It will be z94 and I don't think ticket rules apply? Do they!?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellent Private English Speaking Driver

Last I read, it applied only to the D, G, and C.