We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to hail taxi on road?

London, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
25 reviews
How to hail taxi on road?

Due to short time in SPB, I have to travel by taxi few times. When starting from hotel, I can ask the hotel to book.

But how do I hail taxi on road? I read potentially every car in Russia is a taxi. So how do I recognize which one is real "taxi"? Do they display any sign? Is it in Russian or English?

I won't have phone internet. So can't use any app.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 14:25
12 replies to this topic
Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

>> I read potentially every car in Russia is a taxi.

Your information is out of date for 10 years. :)))

A little advice. You can forget everything you read about Russia 10-5 years ago.

The most popular means of calling a taxi is don't pick up the hand, but a mobile application, since Yandex.taxi or Uber.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

Your conception 'every car is a taxi' has been correct several years ago. No more. Phone app or calling is the way to get a cab. You might get one hailing on the street, but this would be the most expensive variant... Ask a cafe/shop if internet is not an option. Even not with public wifi?

Edited: 18 July 2018, 14:37
Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

Taxis are painted yellow and have yellow numbers (see pic). BUT! They do not have counters, and can tell you any price if you do not order a taxi through the application.

https:/…

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

Also, Moscow and other Russian cities have a special taxi service with English-speaking drivers.

https://lingotaxi.com/

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

>>Due to short time in SPB, I have to travel by taxi few times.

if you are within city center you might be better off using public transport. With metro and lots of bus/trolleybus in the city center sometimes it's faster to get from A to B (cars/taxis are stuck in traffic) ....

If you absolutely have to use a taxi do as the others said - ask cafe/restaurant to call it for you.

I strongly advise not to hail a taxi on a street if you don't know Russian and don't know how much your ride should cost.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
6. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

Colleagues are absolutely right - why create problems for yourself? Download the application and call a taxi in a couple of clicks - which can be easier. However, I agree with you too - why use the application, if you see a car right in front of you on the street.

Here are a couple of tips for this case.

Let it be a branded car and agree on a price in advance. How to distinguish a licensed taxi from pirates, as well as a small phrasebook - see here:

https:/…warning

PS Buy a Russian SIM card - it's very simple and inexpensive.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,418 posts
223 reviews
7. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

> When starting from hotel, I can ask the hotel to book.

Which means you don't care about the price. Then just flag down any car you see and pay whatever they ask - problem solved.

Level Contributor
128 posts
8. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

You've received excellent advice so far, using an app is probably going to be your best option if you speak little or no Russian.

WiFi is widespread so to a certain extent you will have Internet.

You were pretty quick to dismiss the mobile phone option, but I think it's something you should consider.

There may have been a change in the law recently because all the taxis I've seen are clearly marked not like in the past.

London, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

OK, thanks for the advises. I shall be picking up taxis from well known tourist spots. 3 journeys which I foresee already

St Issact Square to hotel - 2 km

Hotel to Peterhof upper garden (one way)

Peter & Paul fortress to Faberge museum

I think rest of the attractions (in my itinerary) I can visit by walking.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 18:53
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: How to hail taxi on road?

>>Peter & Paul fortress to Faberge museum

the fortress is next to "Gorkovskaya" metro station and it's only 1 stop to "Nevsky/Gostyniy dvor" station. From there it's only 2 blocks - about 10 min walk - to the Faberge museum

OR take tram # 3 from the fortress to the Nevsky prospect - get off at "Inzhenernaya str" and walk from there to the Faberge museum, like 10 min. https://wikiroutes.info/en/spb?routes=4781

>>St Issact Square to hotel - 2 km

if you let us know which hotel that is we'll probably help you with public transport

Edited: 18 July 2018, 19:39
Reply to: How to hail taxi on road?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted