We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

Durban
Level Contributor
238 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

At the risk of receiving unwanted comments in reply, and acknowledging that I was probably scammed and stupid to accept it, I'd like to warn against what I believe was unacceptable!

We ordered an ice-cream cone with 3 scoops, and were charged 1600 rubles at one of the many stands in the gardens.

I complained and said that couldn't be right, and since they don't accept cards, I didn't even have that much cash on me. After awhile the price was dropped to 1400, I again complained and said I'd leave it, but the seller was very persuasive and convinced that was the price, even trying to answer my request as to how the price was broken down, and to justify that against what was written on the menu.

I was also upset that the locals behind me in the queue were laughing, and not willing to help at all...so I paid and moved on, albeit frustrated more than anything.

Lesson learnt, and I'll be a lot more careful and check the exact price in advance in future, maybe only my opinion, but that's not on!

Birch
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, European, Central European, Seafood
Bao Mochi
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Phali Hinkali
₹, Caucasian, Georgian
18 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

Sorry you were scammed. My daughter and I were scammed twice in the train station in Naples. Thanks for the warning. We are headed to St. Petersburg in August.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
London, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

Have you not checked price BEFORE ordering?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

I got ripped off on Langos in that hall too! And in exactly the way you described - we asked for a price and then the store owner added all the "extras" which we didn't realize was costing us extra. I guess you just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on

England
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

France is pretty bad for short changing.

It's got to the stage where when receiving change I hold my hand out flat or ask them to put it on the counter and check it bit by bit infront of them.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

xmobi75>>>of course let's blame the victims

Holt, Missouri
Level Contributor
582 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

@DeeptiBh

"I got ripped off on Langos in that hall too!"

That place is notorious for this sort of thing.

@ trickster9 - interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,471 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

Thanks for your post and very interesting thread

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand

Aeolis,

Did I get it right that it was 350 rbl for a scoop of ice-cream? I don't do pounds, but in continental currency it would be about 5 euro? And that's a park stand, not cafe with waiters etc.?

Reply to: Peterhof - Warning re Ice-cream stand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted