We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather coldness

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather coldness

Anyone knows hows the coldness like now in murmansk? It shows -30 sounds scary.

For someone that dont live in 4seasons do you think they can take the coldness? Any advice?. Will be theee just for 2 nights in feb.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather coldness

Well, I cannot completely understand. Now it is -30 C in Musmansk, it might become -10 in Feb, or stay low. Murmansk is located at sea, therefore humidity adds up to the cold feelind.

How you can stand that - well, half a million people live in Murmansk and nearby. Its a nice place, with friendly people, nice seafood, and possible Polar Lights in February.

Are you looking at hiking in Feb? That will probably be rather dark, they have superb skiing and tube downhill rides right in the city. In Russia we say, that "A true Siberian is not the one who resists cold, but the one who dresses properly". Murmansk is not in Siberia of course, but the approach is valid.

As we live in cold climate, we love warmth very much, and everywhere you will find yourself (cars, buses, hotels, homes, cafes) will be greatly heated.

Advices for cold weather - do not stay outside for too long, dress properly (warm legs and head are important), when enter warm place - undress or at least unbutton rightaway. Hot tea and soup are great wo warm up from the inside.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather coldness

Is a big humidity a big deal with really cold temperatures ?

for example -30 °C & 95% of humidity

I know that a big humidity with a really high temperatures is really tough / dangerous for the human being.

for example 45°C & 65% of humidity

See the heat index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather coldness

Big humidity is surely an issue. In Siberia and further east, temperatures may fall well below -30 C. But as these places are usually away from water, the humidity is low, and bitter colds felt easier. -40 at 10% himidity are way more tolerable, than, say, -25 at 90%.

So same thing as wet heat vs dry heat...

Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather coldness

I found this article.

"At these very low temperatures, there is virtually no humidity in the air. If there was humidity, you'd be in an ice fog. All that moisture would condense in the air and you'd be in an ice fog," Phillips explained. "You wouldn't be able to see the hood ornament of your car.

cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/wet-cold-dry-cold…

It reminds me of my thermodynamics course at University. It's possible to have a lot of water in the air with really hot temperature but not with cold temperature.

But thanks anyway for your answer Vasily_from_Moscow !

I will try to cop with the cold during the cruise.on the Batlic Sea. It will be a bit less cold in the Baltic Sea than in the White Sea.

Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather coldness

"Wind chill numbers are always lower than the air temperature for values where the formula is valid. When the apparent temperature is higher than the air temperature, the heat index is used instead."

It seems the wind is the key factor in winter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill

https:/…Windchill_effect_en.svg

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather coldness

Hello, thank you for the reply. I be having a polar light tour for about 6-8hours but should be in a car. I plan to wear a wool stocking pants and top it with a pants and for top will be a inner winter wear, fleece top,fleece jacket and top with down jacket hahaha It sounds like am wrapping myself like a sandwich but i hope this will be enough.

Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather coldness

Maybe this thread can help you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294459-i705-k9169…

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather coldness

Please don't attempt to wear this combo in the car.

9. Re: Weather coldness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2017, 17:47
Get answers to your questions about Murmansk