We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow daytrip with suburban train

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Moscow daytrip with suburban train

Hello everyone,

I am very excited to visit Moscow soon for the World Cup!

Other than football and exploring the city, I plan to venture a bit beyond to Sergiev Posad and Kubinka Tank Museum (on separate days). I figured the economical way from Moscow using the suburban train. My question is, as a solo traveler and non-russian speaker, how to know when the train will arrive at my destination station. Will there any announcement or display on board the train that I can recognize?

Any advice are welcome and thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
223 reviews
1. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

GPS in your phone is the surest way to know when to get off.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

Every station board nameplate has English. Have timetable with stops at hand, and lookout a stop or two before... You need a taxi from Kubinka station to tank museum, or maybe there is a bus-check their website...

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
3. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

Thanks for the fast reply Vasily! I am relieved to know the station nameplate in English is available. And yes I plan to take taxi from station to the tank museum.

Hi Marassa, that's a good tips. GPS and google map are my close friends.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

One warning...while it might seem obvious you will need the tiny hunk of paper that is your ticket to get to'your train (you will swipe the bar code under a reader), you will also need it to get out when you return...so, hang onto it! That is, as opposed to maybe tossing it after you get on board...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

I agree that a GPS on your phone is VERY useful in Moscow.

I preloaded the maps of everywhere I was likely to visit using the hotel Wi-Fi.

Then I could just use the cached versions as I walked around.

Makes life so much easier!

Moscow Oblast...
Level Contributor
384 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

Yesterday I was traveling by a commuter train and found, that announcements are now duplicated in English. Heard it with my own ears :-)

7. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

There is a bus/minibus 457 from Park Pobedy metro station to Mozhaisk, it has a stop near tank museum.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
250 reviews
8. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

My question is, as a solo traveler and non-russian speaker, how to know when the train will arrive at my destination station.

>>>

Ask other passengers, people diplomacy works best :))

Have the name of the place you need written somewhere in English and Russian, show it to people around you, they will alert you when it's time. Works well for metro, too.

Will there any announcement or display on board the train that I can recognize?

>>

I rather doubt it. For my part I have a problem with it even as a Russian-speaker - the train goes too fast.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
90 posts
9. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

I think, you cant rely only on station names written in english. You will not have time to read it.

The worst method is counting sttations because sometimes train miss small stations.

You need to use all the methods - GPS with PRELOADED map and piece of paper with written english and russian names of your destinations. The best option i think to take a Bus to Mozhaisk and show the piece of paper to your driver

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
10. Re: Moscow daytrip with suburban train

Thanks all for your advice. I will take them as tips. I am not sue how popular this two destinations among tourists. For major attraction I can easily know by following when the crowds exit haha.

I am also considering the bus option... if I feel confident.

Cheers

Reply to: Moscow daytrip with suburban train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted