We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Prestatyn, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

We are visiting Cluj this weekend and have noticed a lot of places seem to be shut on Sunday due to Easter. Does anybody know any places that are definitely open. We are looking for pubs and late bars.

Cluj County, Romania
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

I don't know for sure, but you may try at the hotels bars, I think they have customers, even in the Easter Sunday. Or, maybe if you'll be in the mood to get out of the city, you may find some opened touristic chalets near the city. It's right, Romanians are very traditionalistic when it comes to Easter, everybody stays at home and celebrate with their families. Easter it's the greatest religious holyday in Romania during the year, and yes, the entire country seems to be shut down in this Sunday (but only then and for the Christmas).

Mentioned in this post
Romania
Romania
Europe
Breb, Romania
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

I think most bars will be open as usual. I tried to check a few of them on the internet, and 2 of my first searches (Flying Circus Pub and The Londoner) are open on sunday the 16th. So i guess there will be others open as well?

Mentioned in this post
Flying Circus PUB
Flying Circus PUB
85 Reviews
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Hi, we will also be travelling to Cluj and I am just trying to work out what to do about currency. Should I take sterling to exchange when I get there or draw money out using my card from a machine. What do you think will give me the best exchange rate and are there any problems with Romanian cash points and uk cards?

Also I have been quoted for various things, tours and hotels in Euros but am assuming that I will be paying in Leu. Any tips or guidance folks?

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Bring your card and get money from ATMs, there aren't any problems.

All places will take lei (some hotels and tours might accept major foreign currencies including sterling, but it's best to pay in lei).

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Really helpful, thanks for replying so quickly.

Northwest Romania...
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

If you have an international card, like Visa or Mastercard, paying directly at the POS will most probably give you the best rate. International cards are accepted basically everywhere in Cluj. The conversion is made automatically by the company that owns your card. Then you could withdraw some money from an ATM, as a back-up plan if you'll ever need them.

Edited: 14 April 2017, 19:17
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Hi, visiting Cluj in a couple of weeks, and we fancy the salt mines, are the worth visiting, how far are they and whats the best way to visit them, i noticed a day long tour which took in other places, but we just want to go to the mines then back to Cluj.

Cheers,

Pat.

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Yes, the salt mines are definitely worth seeing. They are located in Turda, about 40 minutes by bus south of Cluj.

There are buses to Turda and back every half hour, you can check schedules here: www.autogari.ro/Transport/ClujNapoca-Turda…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Thanks very much Alterme, thats just the info i was looking for.

Pat.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cluj this coming weekend (Easter)

Can you just not abstain from drinking for just one day?