We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Cluj Napoca or Sighisoara?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Overnight in Cluj Napoca or Sighisoara?

Hi guys, would like some advice! I'll be starting my 5 day Romania trip from Timisoara airport in the afternoon, in July. Intending to do the Transfagaran Highway drive. Firstly, would it be better to spend more time in Cluj Napoca or Sighisoara, as I'm wondering where to stay over for the night? Also, any recommendations as to where to stay for the night during the Transfagaran Highway drive? My last destination will be Bucharest. Any advice regarding which towns are a must-see etc is much appreciated too! Thanks!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
1. Re: Overnight in Cluj Napoca or Sighisoara?

Cluj is relatively too far north for your time and route and Sighisoara is too small.

Do something like this: Timisoara - Sibiu - Transfagarasan - Brasov - Bucharest.

If you're primarily interested in high altitude roads also fit in Transalpina (Timisoara - Transalpina - Sibiu - Transfagarasan - Brasov - Bucharest)

There are several chalets and hotels along the Transfagarasan, you could stay at the ones at Balea lake.

The must see cities are Brasov and Sibiu.

Cluj County, Romania
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Overnight in Cluj Napoca or Sighisoara?

Or do something like this: Timisoara - Trasalpina - Sibiu - Corvinilor castle (Hunedoara) - Deva citadel(Deva)Sibiu - Transfagarasan - Bran castle - Rasnov citadel - Brasov - Cantacuzino castle (Busteni) - Peles castle(Sinaia) - Bucharest.

Cluj County, Romania
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Overnight in Cluj Napoca or Sighisoara?

And of course, like a consequence of yours this first trip,( when you'll hopelessly fall in love with Romania), you'll want to come again and...again...Then you may land and start from Cluj Napoca (which definitely deserves to be seen being second largest Romanian city and the informal capital of the gorgeous and the famous region of Transylvania...) and do the northern part of Transyvania. Maramures with it's Mary cemetery of Sapanta and wooden churches and monasteries, the gorgeous route between Transylavania and Bucovina to Piatra Fantanele and even further to Vatra Dornei, Turda salt mine and Turda gorge, Ramet monastery, Alba Iulia citadel, the beautiful Apuseni mountains with their numerous caves and karst formations, the gorgeous baroque styled city of Oradea with it's thermal and wellness facilities, Sighisoara, the Saxons villages, and many other smaller picturesque towns, castles, monasteries and citadels.

4. Re: Overnight in Cluj Napoca or Sighisoara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2018, 09:49
Get answers to your questions about Cluj-Napoca
Recent Conversations