We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iloilo to caticlan

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
iloilo to caticlan

here's my itinerary...we will arrive in iloilo at 6:40 PM from cebu. we will ride a bus to caticlan early in the morning the following day.

here are the things that i wanted to know:

1. a cheap place to stay for the night near tagbak terminal so we could catch an early morning bus to caticlan

..if there is none, i wanted to know a good and cheap place to stay in the city proper and how far it is from the terminal.

2. i wanted to know if there is a grocery store near the terminal as we need to bring food for our 2-night boracay stay and we have two small children, ages 2 and 4.

3. any restaurants or places to eat near the terminal for our dinner and early breakfast?

4. current ceres bus fare (aircon)....how many hours going to caticlan?

i would appreciate your reply as i dont really have any idea where to go when we arrive in iloilo...thanks!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iloilo to caticlan

A cheap place to stay would be Jaro Bellevue Pension owned by Biscocho Haus which also has a restaurant and Iloilo Supermart & SM Supermarket is just walking distance from it. I don't know the fare but the trip to Caticlan would be about 6 hrs.

From Jaro Bellevue just take a taxi or jeep. It would only take you 10 mins or less early in the morning to get to the terminal.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 19:50
Cebu City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: iloilo to caticlan

thanks, that really helps...

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iloilo to caticlan

You're welcome.

Iloilo City...
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iloilo to caticlan

There realy isn't anything out near the Leganese bus terminal as far as a place to stay. The nearest place to get something decent is the Jolibee which is about 1.5kms down the national highway twards Jaro.

2 Recomendations on a cheap place to stay.

The Charter Pensione House which is located at the back of the Sarabia Manor Hotel and Convention Center on General luna st. P650 a night for a double with aircon and guests get to use the Sarabias swimming pool free.

They have a dozen or so resturants there, but they are on the high side pricewise. I'd recommend going a couple blocks down to Queson st (Atrium Mall) about 4 blocks down is Jo's Chicken Ignato. Best BBQ in town and very reasonable prices.

HWY 21 Pensione house is right next to the Saribia, They are a little nicer but the rooms are P 850 and up.

There is an Iloilo Supermarket on the Nationasl Highway aprox 1km twards Jaro. Trike distance. There are a few calderitias next to the LTO about 1.5km away from the terminal or Jolibee.

The trip is just over 4 hours with a 20 min rest stop.

Fares for Caticlan were P280 per adult one way. Don't know the kids fare.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: iloilo to caticlan

thank you so much!

Iloilo City...
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iloilo to caticlan

Your welcome. Cabfare to Sarabia should only run P80 or so. Take any Iloilo City Jeepney and it will go down General Luna street past sarabia and hwy 21.

Forgot to mention there is a nice coffee shop 2 blocks down at the century 21 hotels lobby for breakfast. It will cost you roughly P1,100 to stay there.

It's only a 10 min cabride back to the Leganese terminal. Stopping at the iloilo supermarket you can get a trike to the terminal. Also the breakfast buffet is P200 a head at sarabia and not that good.

Enjoy your trip to Boracay and don't forget to write a couple reviews to help out the next person.

Paul in Iloilo

Panabo City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iloilo to caticlan

We stayed at the Century 21 Hotel in Iloilo, on the way to Boracay during Holy Week. Century 21 was nice enough, and the staff was helpful. The menu in the cafe looked good, but we decided to go out for dinner with a friend who was also in town. We left too early to try the breakfast.

The room was clean and the hot shower was great. I had my best sleep in ages. My only problem was that the wireless internet was down, but I'm assuming that was a temporary problem.

The Century 21 Hotel was just a 10 min taxi ride to the Tagbak Ceres bus terminal in the AM. We went VERY early AM (like 3:30 am) - which I am very glad we did, as it was very busy, and I heard it gets busier later. Also this allowed us to travel while it was still cool out, and to get to the ferry and to Boracay early enough to still check in and enjoy the afternoon & evening there.

We had hoped to hit the drive through at Jolly Bee just down the street for breakfast, but it was closed (in spite of the large "Open 24 Hours" banner). We got some bread & snacks for the rid. Most of the bus terminals on the way have vendors selling snacks.

The Ceres buses all stop at PenGee's restaurant in Panay, about half way, for a QUICK lunch stop. Interesting place with very quaint native decor. Filipina style buffet allows you to be in & out in about 30 minutes or less.

It was 6 hours from Iloilo to Caticlan. A bit slow because there were several stops along the way. Return trip was 5.5 hours. Fare was p347 going there and p335 coming back. The bus terminal at Caticlan is right at the ferry jetty port - so no need for additional transportation.

I would not worry about buying groceries in Iloilo, as there are plenty of places to buy groceries on Boracay. There are at least 2 grocery stores on the island, and countless small convenience shops even along the beach that are not overpriced, and have good selection of basic food, snacks, & personal items.

Ferry was p25+p75 terminal fee + p50 environmental fee (for non-residents only). Tip: if traveling with a resident - let them buy the tickets. :)

On Boracay, you can also buy fresh fish in the wet market, and have it cooked right there, for less then the typical restaurant prices.

For souvenir & gift shopping - do not miss D'Talipapa mall near boat station 2. Definitely the place for bargains - especially for Boracay T-Shirts & beach wear. Many less expensive places to eat there as well. Of course, D'Mall is the big shopping experience not to be missed, but is a bit more expensive for many things.

The one other "must do" I would mention, is the "Island Hopping" boat trip. We went at 8 AM and it was 3 hours of heaven. We went to Crystal Cove Island (p200 entrance fee per person additional), where a guide leads you on a path with dozens of statues, view points, a cave, and other photo ops. The guide carried my backpack and camera and took pictures of us all along the way (we tipped him p100 after). The 3 hour island hopping trips ran around p2000 for all 3 of us. You will be approached by many vendors on the beach offering various tours & boat trips - so be prepared to negotiate for the best deal.

We had a wonderful time - and it was truly a trip of a lifetime for me! I definitely plan on going again sometime soon!

I hope this info helps!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: iloilo to caticlan

Thank you so much!

Stevenage, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: iloilo to caticlan

Hi is there a bus service from Caticlan to Iloilo? Everyone seems to talk of going the other way. If so, is there a website or do we need to sort it when we get there?

Leicester
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iloilo to caticlan

Kerry-bee. If you don't have anything booked don't panic, as soon as you exit the ferry terminal you will be asked where are headed. Someone will guide you to a minibus that will take you to Iloilo. Journey is around four hours.

Get answers to your questions about Iloilo City