We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Auburn the right choice?

Newmanstown...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Is Auburn the right choice?

Help! I am from PA and we'd like to travel with another couple 9/9-9/11 weekend up to the Finger Lakes-we are flexible, but want to go when it's warmer. We can't go over Labor day, although it IS my Birthday on 9/5. We'd like to do one day touring some wineries (preferably with a driver). I don't know where to begin. Should I choose a location first? One major interest is the Seward House in Auburn. My maiden name is Seward and this is one of my ancestors, so I'd like to find a lake/region to stay at near there so we don't have so much driving to do with already having to drive 4+ hrs to the Lakes. Are there any wineries or a lake in/near Auburn?

We're also looking to stay in a chain type hotel with two doubles to save $. Also interested in one night eating in a nicer restaurant. We're not going for activities such as hiking, etc. It's a getaway from our kids / work and we want to relax and kick back. Can anyone help me choose an area? Thanks in advance!!!

9 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,256 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

The Seward is definitely worth a visit; everything in the house is original as the home passed directly from the family to the state. It contains many fascinating artifacts that were given to Seward during his tenure as Secretary of State.

Auburn is located about 30 minutes east of Cayuga Lake; where there are several wineries (more on the western side but also some on the eastern side). It is also located about 10 minutes west from Skaneateles Lake; where there is one winery that I am aware of. There is also a winery in Montezuma; about 20 minutes west of Auburn near Cayuga Lake.

A couple of nice hotel options in Auburn are the Holiday Inn and Inn of the Finger Lakes.

You could also consider Ithaca; located at the south end of Cayuga Lake and about a 45 minute drive from Auburn. This would put you closer to the Cayuga Lake wineries but farther from the Seward House.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,256 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

Here's a link to Cayuga Lake wineries:

winecountrycabins.com/to_do/…cayugawine.htm

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

You might want to think about Seneca Falls. It's a great location and there are a couple nice restaurants downtown. There is a Holiday Inn (might be in Waterloo), about 5 mins from downtown Seneca Falls. Another town you could check out is Geneva.

Personally, I would not stay in Auburn. There just really is not much there at all.

Edited: 29 July 2011, 10:33
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,256 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

JustUs-

I must respectfully disagree what "there really is not much there at all".

In addition to the Seward House, there is the Harriet Tubman House (her last residence; now a state historic site), Willard Chapel (last Louis Comfort Tiffany stained glass chapel in the US), Fort Hill Cemetery (where Seward and Tubman among others who shaped area history are buried) and Case Research Lab museum (Auburn's Theodore Case was a pioneer in the development of sound-on-film technology in the early 1920s). There is also a pleasant county park (Emerson) at the foot of Owasco Lake with a beautiful promenade along the channel and the well-regarded Merry-Go-Round theatre. Additionally, the Auburn Public Theatre is downtown.

Moro's Table, a highly-regarded restaurant is right on Genesee St. as is the also popular Bambinos. Balloon's, an Auburn institution, is also downtown.

Whether the poster decides on Auburn is obviously up to them; I just can't stand the perception that Auburn has nothing to offer when it is not the case.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

If you end up staying in Auburn, you may want to consider a dinner at the Springside Inn. It has been a few years since I went there but I loved the setting and the food.

http://www.springsideinn.com/index.htm

Newmanstown...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

Thank you all so much for the info. This gives me a great start. I did some more research and I think Seneca Falls would be a nice choice at the Microtel, but still looking...I'd like to go to the cemetery and see Seward's grave. I had no idea he was buried there. Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

I think microtels are a great way to save and spend on other activities. If you happen to head into Geneva, try out a wine tasting at Ventosa which is on the east side of Seneca. It is now my favorite (not that I'm an expert nor visit the wineries that often). They have a nice veranda overlooking the lake and a nice little cafe as well. Finding a 'driver' might be a bit expensive. Geneva does have a wine trolley which runs around $40 pp and visits five wineries in the course of an afternoon. You may want to research such an option. Have fun.

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

I wasn't really trying to bash Auburn, I was giving her information pertinent to her post. If she only wanted to see the Seward House, then staying in Auburn wouldn't really fit the bill for the rest of her trip. I wasn't under the impression she wanted a historical tour vacation, if so, then yes I agree that Auburn is a great place. However, its proximity to wineries and lakes is not the best, and she mentioned not wanting to drive a lot. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I also agree that Moro's table is a wonderful place to eat, along with Balloons and Parker's.

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Auburn the right choice?

You may want to check the Watkins Glen area to stay. There are many wineries in the area, and near many attractions, so driving a long distance won't be a problem. Check out wineries, and sites to see by putting each of the lakes into google. It will bring up a map of each lake with wineries listed. One suggestion would be to stay at the Harbour Hotel in Watkins Glen. They have rooms with a lake view, but those are pricey. Wish you luck. We will be int he Finger Lakes the last week of August, and can't wait. Visited last year also, and just loved it!

Reply to: Is Auburn the right choice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auburn