We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

We have just returned from a 2 week stay. We had a great time. If you have any questions, just ask.

alberta
1 post
1. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

i will be going there in about two weeks. i was wondering did you take any malaria, yellow fever immunizations?

relic5
2 posts
2. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

Hi there- Thank you for your offer! I was hoping to learn about the safety in the Playa Blanca. Did you feel like the drive from the Tocumen Airport was safe? Was it safe to leave the resort at day/night? I understand there are a lot of checkpoints and police but that they might be a bit corrupt. Any experience with that?

Just looking for any feedback on general saftey in Playa Blanac.

Thanks,

Geoff

Las Margaritas/El...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

Hi Geoff!!

Are you taking the transfer bus or are you renting a car? Either way it should be safe. There are a lot of check points last week, but so far I haven't heard of any lately. They are checking to see mostly if the gringos down here have their Panamanaian drivers license and you will be here on a tourist visa, so you won't be affected. Just show them your passport if you get stopped and that should be it. Also make sure you have your seatbelt on and watch for speed limit signs near towns (they usually go down to 60 KPH).

It is safe to get off the resort during the day and night, I wouldn't go to Rio Hato at night though. What are you planning on doing off resort? There is Woody's Beach Bar next to the Decameron on the beach--they have good seafood, putine, and other dishes. It is owned by a Canadian couple and there are a lot of hockey jerseys having from the rafters. They also opened a new restaurant on the beach in front of Playa Blanca--no jerseys hanging from the rafters yet since they just opened. They are also serving pizza at the restaurant in front of Playa Blanca.

I would still be back at the resort by sundown. The only reason being the drivers down here are CRAZY. You will see cars and trucks without tail lights and there are times out there that there are horses and cattle on the PanAmerican Highway.

Mary

www.whypanama.com

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

fsuAlberta ,

Travel doctor that I went to see stongly suggests that you get you Hep A & B (Twinrex) and a typhoid shot before you go to Panama. This Dr who now lives in Niagara is from Columbia.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

One more thing,

He did not suggest getting malaria or yellow fever immunizations. The correct spelling of putine is actually poutine.

relic5
2 posts
6. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

Thank you Mary! Great info.

Planning on renting a car and glad to hear you find the roads safe. I'll def. check out the resturant / bar you reccomended when I get down there.

Geoff

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

No shots necessary. Hep shots are good for anywhere in life. Typhoid? Goodness, that travel doctor likes one to spend money! Come on down, bring repellent for the chiggers and ocassional mossies - they like me AND sunscreen. Trader Jack brand actually has repellent with sunscreen!

On the highway at night, we actually came (quickly) upon two men walking in the fast lane - one was carrying a 30 gallon can over his head wobbling along. Luckily we were ble to swerve. Dangerous at night, I think, avoid whenever I can.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

Hi :We were there 3 years ago and have heard things have really gone down hill Did you encounter anty type of problems at the resort that we should be aware of? We had such a great time there last time just hope things have not changed for the worst.Do they still serve canadian rye at the lounge up stairs? Any Diet pepsi? What is the surcharge you had to pay to get out of Panama?Did you go with Canjet?Any problems with them if you did?Do they have monitors in the seats?Do we bring repellant?Any jelly fish in ocean?Did you do any tours?We did the panama canal last time.We are doing a split between Rd and Decapollis in Panama city1(11-3)Thanks for you info

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

Lovetogo,

Please see my recent review of this resort at: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1193051-d30115…

Your departure tax is now included with your package.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Just back from Decameron ( Jan 11)- Any Q's

I guess you got your answers. Sorry for the delay, I'm still washing.

I didn't get any shots or pills. The water is good to drink on site they say, but you still get bottled water in your room. Didn't hear anyone say they got sick.

Our bus driver got pulled over for speeding, but he didn't get a ticket. Still funny though.