We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Albrook to Tocumen

new york
7 posts
Save Topic
Transfer from Albrook to Tocumen

I know this topic has been posted before, but the post is now inactive. I have a similar situation, but slightly different:

How long would it take to get from Albrook to Tocumen on a Wednesday at 6:00pm?

I'd be flying from David to Albrook on Wednesday, 12/29/10. The flight I'm looking at is scheduled to land at 6:00pm.

My flight from Tocumen to New York is scheduled to leave at 8:48pm. I wouldn't be checking any bags. Things I'm considering that could go wrong:

1) delayed flight due into Albrook to weather

2) traffic between the two airports

3) once in Tocumen, is security long? do you have to go through customs?

Ideally, I would take the flight that is scheduled to land at 2:00pm that day, but on Air Panama's website, it says "Request Reservation" instead of "Available Flight." I requested the reservation, but no one's contacted me back yet. Does anyone have experience with "Request Reservation"?

Thanks for your help/advice.

Mentioned in this post
David
David
Chiriqui Province, Panama
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Albrook to Tocumen

The only problem might returning from David to Albrook. Your transit time from Albrook to Tocumen at 6:00pm should be about 40 to 45 minutes. You won't be going through customs, so 2 hours is plenty to check in at Tocumen.

Air Panama and Aeroperlas have almost the same schedules and the same faires from David to Panama. Once, I was in David, waiting to go to Panama on Aeroperlas. I noticed that the Aeroperlas flight was going to be delayed, so I asked Air Panama how many vacant seats they had on the flight to Albrook. I was able to change flights from Aeroperlas to Air Panama without any problem. One counter issued me a credit ... the other put me on the plane. As it turned out, Aeroperlas landed in Albrook 10 minutes behind Air Panama.

You did ask about weather delays .... they do happen. Unfortunately, they happen most often in the afternoon and evening. But, unless you're delayed for more than an hour, you should be okay.

Edited: 12 December 2010, 11:21
Mentioned in this post
David
David
Panama
Panama
Central America
new york
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Albrook to Tocumen

Thanks. Any idea on how often they get canceled, rather than delayed?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Albrook to Tocumen

No, I don't. Sorry.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Albrook to Tocumen

You get in at 6 pm and your flight is scheduled to leave 8:48pm from PTY- you need to be there one hour before the flight to check in - not sure what airline you are on but some won't let you check in if you arrive with less than an hour to go before departure - American for example.

So you need to there by 7:45.

Not sure what the weather will be like late December - but it is suppose to be the dry season now and it has been raining like crazy - every day almost all day - they even shut the canal the other day because of weather.

Went the other day to the Albrrok mall - next to the airport - from Via Porras it took an hour and a half becuase of traffic -riduculas - it was very bad in both directions - it was around 6 pm

Cancellations and delays from David to ALbrrok - happens a lot - I usually drive it but the GF has flown it alot to visit family - for her it has been about 50% being dealyed and a few time by a full day..

Customs/security leaving PTY is pretty quick - checking in at the counter can take a while depending on the airline.

It is a bit of a crapshoot - I would rather have more time becuase if you get delayed and miss your flight - the airlines are going to screw you - that time of year the flights are very full - there may not be seats on the next flight - you will get hit with a change fee and maybe the difference in the ticket price which I am sure will be more.

Come back the day before and relax a little.

Mentioned in this post
David
David
5. Re: Transfer from Albrook to Tocumen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 10:49
Get answers to your questions about Chitre
More Chitre Topics