We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
173 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

Is there any bus/transportation between Albrook Terminal and Tocumen Intl. Airpor

If someone is traveling in to "Albrook Terminal" from Chitre or any other point in Panama, what is the conection that needs to be taken in order to get to the International Airport?

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

There is a bus that goes to Tocumen but the stop for the airport is about a 1/4 mile from the terminal so you have to walk the last bit. If you are a backpacker type should not be a problem(if it isn't raining) but if you have luggage I would skip the bus and take a taxi, lots to choose from at Albrook, may take some time but if you negioate probably can get the cost down to $15-20

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
173 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

Wow!Thank you. I think Albrook - Tocumen Airport needs a more reliable/efficient way to connect. The fact that there is not a direct bus line between the country's biggest bus terminal and the Intl. Airport show how "primitive" some tourist services are in PTY.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

There's a very efficient transfer system called taxis - they cost $12.00 plus a bit more per person after the first.

What you have to realize is that "you ain't in Kansas anymore!!!" and while there are buses that run from Albrook to Tocumen they are not what those of us who know the country would recommend to a tourist.

Taxis are plentiful and cheap - how far could you go in Coral Gables for $12.00??? Not very far, I bet.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
173 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

Thank you. My point is: all tourist destinations around the world have reliable "mass transportation" options to move between their biggest terminals.

Tourist should have the option(s) to choose according to their budget.

A $12.00 taxi ride between Albrook and Tocumen does not exist anymore and even if it does I would not recommended to hire that particular taxi cab.

In a modern "wannabe" country like Panama, there should be more than one safe transport choice to move people between terminals. I'm not begging for a free ride but lets face it: in Paris/Madrid/ you can "Metro" yourself form the airport to the a hotel in the center for less than $12.00. Hopefully the new Panama Metro plans would include these points on its route.

Ah I almost forgot:In Coral Gables we have a 100% free trolley system that takes you anywhere in this beautiful city (including train stations)without paying a single penny.

Note:

Coral Gables, 2007 per capita income $46,163.

Panama, 2007 per capita income US $5,510.

Therefore a $12.00 taxi ride is a lot of money.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama Metro
Panama Metro
1,759 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

One adjustment that must be made in Panama is no shuttle service from airport to hotel, none of the major hotels have a courtesy van like the US, a few less expensive hotels will have a taxi driver meet you but for the most part you are on your own.

A bus from ALbrook straight to PTY makes sense but I figure it would cause an uproar with the taxi drivers.

Courtesy vans, bus service between airports, bus service from PTY to say Multiplaza all are good ideas but probably put a lot of taxi drivers out of work.(and they vote where tourists/gringos don't)

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

Miami, perhaps Panama is not for you. And to compare a third world country with Paris / Madrid is ridiculous.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

LN - you took the words right out of my mouth...

Comparing Panama to Paris or Madrid - come on!!!!

Panama is a developing country with barely 100 years of existence and as you stated a low PCI. For a local - yes, $12.00 is a lot but then those folks aren't flitting back and forth between airports...

Maybe the new metro will help but I doubt it will have a spur directly to/from Tocumen - that's not where this system is needed - it needs to take people from the new suburbs into the city and back.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
8. Re: From Albrook Terminal to Tocumen.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 09:49
Get answers to your questions about Chitre
More Chitre Topics