We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working / Living in Sohar

Sao Paulo, Brazil
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Working / Living in Sohar

Dear Friends,

I am from Brazil, and I will be working in Sohar for about 2 months (from Sept 15th).

I’ve been reading a lot this forum, and thanks for all of you for the tips!

One info that I was looking for and did not find, is about the life cost in Oman.

How much is the bottled water? Coca-cola? A meal? this kinds of goods, etc…

It is expensive to live in Sohar?

I don’t know yet what I could do in my free time, any suggestions?

I will study more about Oman this weekend and then will bring more doubts!

Thanks in advance!

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working / Living in Sohar

Hi

Welcome to Oman.

Sohar is the second or third most populous area in Oman. Not much to do at night unfortunately, no mega malls, just a small one and a couple of decent hypermarkets.

Sohar is mid-way between Muscat and Dubai and has a sizeable industrial estate. It is a very nice town.

Cost of living depends on where you are and what kind of place you are at. In general, Sohar will be cheaper than Muscat. But, to answer your question:

A small bottle of water: 0.100 OMR (100 Baiza)

A big bottle of water: 0.200 OMR (200 Baiza)

A can of coke: between 0.100 & 0.125 OMR depending on where you are buying it from. Petrol pump convenience stores are usually more expensive than supermarkets/hypermarkets.

Cost of meal is tricky. You can eat for 1 OMR (cheap indian food), you can eat well for 3 OMR (arabic / international / decent indian), you can eat really well for 10 OMR, and you can go crazy.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 14:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working / Living in Sohar

Probably better to ask these questions on the oman forum:

www.omanforum.com

Sao Paulo, Brazil
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working / Living in Sohar

thank you for all the info!

I am searching at omanforum also!

thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working / Living in Sohar

With the exception of rent, Oman is not very expensive at all. You can live and eat well for fairly cheap. It all depends on how you want to be living though. An expat lifestyle will be significantly more expensive than the local lifestyle.

5. Re: Working / Living in Sohar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Sohar
More Sohar Topics