We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Port Harcourt

stacStac
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Safety in Port Harcourt

I am taking a week's stay in Harcourt and was wondering if there were any safety issues there and also what to wear this time of year. Any travel suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Port Harcourt

The best place to check for current safety issues in the rivers/delta area of Nigeria is with your own countries travel advice website (not sure where you are from!). The british version is as link below and advice is currently not to travel to this area.

fco.gov.uk/en/…nigeria

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Port Harcourt

Are you mad???

There are huge safety issues in PHC. I currently work in PHC and travel to work and back in a heavily armed convoy.

Kidnapping, robbery etc. is rife. The only reason you would come here is to work (for good money).

The British HC stated that travel to Rivers state should be avoided due to the danger.

For more on PHC and Nigeria check out www.oyibosonline.com

Edited: 10 April 2010, 13:40
Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Port Harcourt

Just in case you were in any doubt about safety in PHC:

www.oyibosonline.com/cgi-bin/newsscript.pl…

Armed men have kidnapped three Syrians and a Lebanese working in the construction sector in Nigeria's oil-rich southern region, killing a policeman in the attack, police said on Friday.

"About 10 or more kidnappers, all armed with automatic weapons, fired many rounds. The hoodlums kidnapped four expatriate workers -- three Syrians and one Lebanese," said police spokeswoman Rita Abbey.

"They were working on a construction site in Rivers State," said Abbey, adding that the kidnappings took place on Thursday.

"One of our policemen attached to the company was killed by the hoodlums," she added.

The assailants escaped into nearby Abia State territory, she said.

No group or individual has yet claimed responsibility for the kidnap and no ransom has been demanded so far, Abbey said.

Nigerian gunmen had on March 31 kidnapped a local employee of French oil group Total on his way to work in the country's oil hub of Port Harcourt.

Hundreds of mostly foreign and local oil workers have been kidnapped in the Niger Delta since 2006. Many have been released unharmed, and some were freed only after ransom payments.

Both Rivers and Abia are states in the volatile oil-rich Niger Delta region, where most kidnappings have taken place in recent years.

Initially, oil workers in the region were targeted for kidnapping but local politicians and their relatives have been increasingly targeted.

Mentioned in this post
Port Harcourt
Port Harcourt
Rivers State, Nigeria
ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Port Harcourt

Not just oil workers/politicians but anyone who looks like they may have a bit of spare money!! (see cut nd paste below, I know Edo is not quite Delta/Rivers but gives you an idea of the kinda stuff that goes on) Incidently there was a very bad drama 'blood and oil' on brit tv last week which pretended to explore the tensions/security issues in the delta region but was too enamoured of its female star to make a point - lost opportunity. I second oyibosonline as good website for info on living/visiting Nigeria.

Recent News -

Edo State doctors go on strike after kidnapping

Dozens of doctors from a leading hospital in Edo state have refused to work until kidnappers release one of their colleagues, a state government spokesman said on Thursday. More than 50 doctors from the main teaching hospital in Benin went on strike on Wednesday after unidentified gunmen abducted the chief medical doctor on his way home from work. Kidnappings and other violent crimes are increasingly common, especially in the oil-producing Niger Delta.

Most hostages are released unharmed after a ransom is paid. The protesting doctors are demanding authorities find the captors and bolster security in the area. "The striking doctors protested to the government and we are appealing to them to return to work for the sake of the patients," said Anselm Ojezua, spokesman for the Edo state government. "We are working with security to ensure the release of the medical doctor," he added. He said nurses and consultants were taking care of the sick in the doctors' absence, while the hospital has started to turn away new patients.

Edo State

When residents of Benin City thought that they were in for a relief from menace of robbers, they suddenly re-surfaced in various parts of the state with three incidences occurring in the Central Hospital where patients were robbed at night. Although the Commissioner for Health has assured that the problem has been tackled and the hospital was now safe, but the incidences struck fear into some workers in the hospital who now opt to shun night duties.

Also last week, robbers struck at the residence of a journalist in the city, carting away valuables and cash in the process.

The robbers stole from him cash of about N26,000 and other valuables.

The robbers attempted to abduct his nephew, but later released her following her continuous wailing and pleas.

His 15-year-old daughter had to hide in a large rubber drum filled with water to avoid being detected by the robbers.

He said the Police at the Ugbekun Station close to the robbery scene did not respond to distress calls put to them during the raid because they complained that they lacked operational vehicles and personnel to deal with the situation.

About two weeks ago, gunmen in an Audi 80 taxicab killed a United States-based medical doctor and popular Benin businessman, Dr. Charles Ndulue close to the Central Hospital gate on Sapele Road as he was returning from the Palm Sunday mass with his daughter and a maid.

In addition it was hell for some residents of the First East Circular road last week as armed robbers cashed in on the evening outing of celebrants of the Easter festivities to unleash mayhem on some restaurant and business outlets in the city.

This time, policemen on patrol repelled the attack on one of the restaurants, killing one robber in the process.

The State Police Command says their men are equal to the task of flushing robbers out of the state but called for information from members of the public to assist them in their job.

The Police Commissioner Kachi Udeoji recently told journalists that the Command was positioned to drive criminals out of the state with the support of logistics from the state government

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Port Harcourt

I watched that documentary too, started off well but then i lost interest! Even my husband was a bit shockedo see some of it & he's from Benin. But further on from your other point, i spent 10days in Benin and never had any hassle - we travelled back from the villages at night (which i admit i was a bit scared but we were perfectly fine) & also got stopped by the policelate 1 night & no dramas! In contrast i spent 2 nights in Lagos & was pretty scared!! As for Port Harcourt i would have liked to have gone as my husband says it is very beautiful but think ill skip it just to be on the safe side!

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Port Harcourt
Port Harcourt
Rivers State, Nigeria
nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Port Harcourt

i am travelling to port harcourt in june. dont know quiet what to expect. i am travlling with my step mother who is from that town and staying with her family. i know they have arranged me personel guarding

7. Re: Safety in Port Harcourt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 14:01
Get answers to your questions about Port Harcourt