We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Surrey
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Hi there

First trip out to the Maldives with Monarch (I know it's basic but I would rather spend the money on the resorts when we are out there) in about a weeks time.

Just wanting to check the latest rules on luggages. On the UK-Male-UK flights, we are entitled to 20kg each as check-in + 5kg each of hand luggages.

1. what are the rules on the seaboat transfers e.g. do they restrict us to 15kg per person on the check in luggages?

2. I have read a posting which says that, on the return from Male, we may not necessarily be able to take on board even drinks that have been purchased from the airport in Male if the size of the container exceeds 100ml?

3. How strict are Monarch on the 5kg limit with hand baggages - both directions?

4. At the airport in Male, is there a decent selection of shops to buy food etc for carrying on board?

5. Any other Monarch specific / seaboat transfer rules (Bandos, Kurumba, Olhuveli) that we need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

UFC

LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

okay, good to know! thanks for the useful info!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

UFC

There are 2 main lots of weighings. The first weighing is at UK check in when they vusually only weigh your hold luggage. Don't know about Monarch - they may weigh hand luggage as well. I have also seen bulky hand luggage weighed at the UK boarding gate.

The second weighing is at the seaplane check-in at Male Airport (after you have cleared Customs), where they will weigh ALL your luggage, including hand luggage, and sometimes you as well.

AS SL says, don't try and take any alcohol into the Maldives as it will be taken off you.

OD

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

hi,

i just receive the confirmation letter from Conrad stating that we will have 25kg +5kg per person on seaplane. Not sure if that is typo though. :)

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Hi

I've never known the seaplanes to weigh you as well as luggage but they certainly do for internal flights in the Maldives so if you are going to Beach House,Cinnamon or Island Hideway start slimming ;-))

Regards

Doug

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Hi Yee0808

It is quite possible that some of the high end islands - like the Conrad - have an arrangement with the air taxis whereby guests can have a higher luggage allowance FOC. Certainly, the Conrad has its own gold-liveried plane that is a part of the MAT fleet.

OD

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Doug

Do they seriously weigh the passengers? lol!. Wonder what the weight allowance and "excess baggage" charges are??

Ian

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Ian, yes, they do weigh passengers, I did it with my hand lugagge included... In fact, you get up the belt where you put the suitcases to be weighed...

But there were no charges... I suppose it is to know if the plane is able to rise with everything...

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Thanks mariaeugene - I thought it may be something along those lines....I just had this picture in my head of me getting a bill for a few hundred dollars hehe...

On our return seaplane flight last week I was reading the maximum take off weight for the twin otter seaplane, and was trying to estimate the weight of all the passengers and huge piles of luggage in the back.....

I sort of gave up on it in the end as my estimate was getting too close and I was starting to think the plane might nose dive into the ocean :-)

Ian

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

Je, je, it is better not to think about it...

I remember when I flew with Sri Lankan from London and I saw lots of sri lanka families with enormous suitcases and lots of it, and I thought the plane could not departure... fortunately it could...

30. Re: Summer 2010 - Latest Rules on Luggages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll
Recent Conversations