We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
97 reviews
Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

My hubby and I are due to renew our vows on Hakuraa in August for our silver weddding anniversary. I have just been reading through some of the TA reviews and a number of reviews suggest that there are many chineses guests photographing everything and anything on the island. On our last visit there were only a few Chinese guests and no issues with this. I'm not a stick in the mud, but I now have some real concerns about lots of cameras and lots of photos being taken of our 'private ceremony' thousands of miles from home. Am I being a little paranoid here, or is this going to be a problem?

Louise

Sydney
Level Contributor
97 posts
1. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

I'm sure they just love to take pictures of the view, the beach, the food and the resort, which is what many people come to Maldives for, not the actual patrons of the resort. Because why would they? Unless your vow renewal is going to be in the plain view of everyone, then it may become a bit of spectacle regardless of nationality. I say don't worry about it too much & just enjoy your day :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

I think you are being a little bit paranoid,,,,unless you are Kim k and Kanye, I think you probably have nothing to worry about:-))

Ps, it's not a private ceremony if you chose to do it somewhere public. People may wander over and have a look out of curiosity and yes some might take your picture.. .in my experience Chinese guests like to photograph themselves in a variety of surroundings, or the surroundings. They are not that interested in the other guests. But if you are doing it in public, then it's not private.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

We witnessed weddings and celebrations of marriage in Thailand two years ago and in The Maldives last year, and I have to say we commented how we would hate to have people "gawping" at us at such a special time. At the resort in Thailand the ceremony took place on the beach and people even swam up and wallowed in the shallows just feet away from the wedding party. In the Maldives last year people gathered to watch the proceedings, attracted by the procession across the island complete with traditional drums and yes, many did take photos and none of them were Chinese. If your ceremony is taking place in public then you can't really say it's private. I really don't see that there is much you can do but invite people to enjoy the moment with you.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

People will be curious about what's taking place, I think it's only natural. I got married on a beach at Sanibel Island at sunrise and yes people did stop and take a few photos and offer their congratulations after the ceremony but it was our choice to do it there and it didn't worry us. We chose sunrise as it's a very beautiful time of day and also less busy. I'm sure it will in no way ruin your day.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

I feel a bit stupid for asking the question now, despite being regular travellers, we have not really spent time in destinations with lots of Chinese guests. I had images of camera flashes everywhere, I apologise for sounding so spoilt., by private , I had meant together with no guests.

I know the ceremony is taking place on the beach and in hindsight as Hakuraa is so small, I think I will ask the resort to invite those guests who would like to watch to celebrate with us so I feel like those who are watching have been invited.

Thanks you for your comments ... FroggyEngland ... We r definitely no Kim/Kanye lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

Honestly, I would not even do that. Sure a few people might stop and watch, a couple might take photos, they will be unobtrusive. Focus on each other,

I got married in st Lucia, sure there was people in their swimmers watching, I can't even remember them or hardly noticed they were there to be honest, it won't be like some mad paparazzi thing with everyone clamouring round and taking photos, it's simply people don't have much to do and it's a little bit interesting. Most of them will have a look and wander off. It's also the Maldives,,,if it's more than a handful of people I'd be surprised. If it's even that:-))

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
97 reviews
7. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

I have emailed the resort for some clarity on what happens... Hard to find any reviews on renewing your vows let alone any photos or video?

I've had my panic moment and I'm over it lol ... and realised that actually I couldn't care less as we r together on our piece of paradise :)

THanks guys or bringing me back to earth :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

On what happens when? Sorry,,,am slightly confused now.

I'm pretty sure you can hire a photographer on most resorts. Or you could give someone your camera and ask them to take pics. Is that the question?

Or ,,,,,Are you worried about other people taking pics/videos and then they end up on the web? If so,,,why?

Or do you want to see videos and pics of people renewing their vows? Just google it, there is a shed tonne of YouTube videos and images on the web you can look at.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
97 reviews
9. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

FroggyEngland no questions, I was making a comment. we asked the resort what happens during the ceremony, so we would know what to expect , it's been a long time since we got married last lol . And we have hired an official photographer

I was looking for a video, personal or promo of a ceremony on Hakuraa so I would have an idea of what it will be like.

As I said panic over :)

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Chinese guests with cameras and our vow renewal ceremony

A Chinese couple took pictures of us when we had a candle lit dinner on the beach at kuredu.

No big deal, it obviously looked good (not me... the table setup!) and they just like to share photos with family and friends. We're the same we love taking pictures.

Get answers to your questions about Meemu Atoll