We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Maldives

Hi we are going to Medhufushi island resort and we are going by seaplane but we can only take 20kg per person do you know if we can store extra luggage anywhere

Deborah

London, United...
14 posts
1. Re: Maldives

Ah! i guess you can carry additional 5 kg as hand luggage.

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Maldives

I do not think there is a weight limit for baggage in total, you just have to pay for additional weight after 20kgs.

The handbaggage gets stored too, so you can only really have on your knees a bottle of water and camera.

If you have lots of camera/computer kit just let the guys know when they are packing the hold and they will not put heavy stuff ontop.

* I have forgotten if it is chargable after 20 or 25 kgs - sorry !

Edited: 11 February 2013, 14:42
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Maldives

The seaplane weight limits are 20kg for hold luggage and 5kg for hand luggage, any excess is $2-$4 per kilo depending on which of the 2 carriers you travel with. I don't think there is storage in the terminal for any extra luggage you don't wish to take but I would say we generally are overweight with 2 sets of dive gear and have never been charged excess - it all depends on how many are travelling on your flight and even how good a day the staff are having! I wouldn't worry unduly about it.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Maldives

Question is: Do you *need* 20kgs each?

Belfast
Level Contributor
777 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Maldives

Are you going onto somewhere else afterwards & therefore require extra luggage? Otherwise you really don't need more than 20kg + 5kg hand luggage as you won't need loads of shoes or fancy clothes. We take our own snorkelling gear, a heavy laptop, loads of camera gear & our luggage is usually a few kilos under this allowance.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Maldives

For a few pounds you can buy handheld scales to weigh your luggage. Taking luggage to the Maldives only to store some of it at the airport seems pointless. As other posters have said the excess luggage charges on the seaplane are reasonable.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
283 reviews
7. Re: Maldives

Even with hard, heavy cases and snorkel gear and fins, our cases are 15 kg

8. Re: Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 19:45
Get answers to your questions about Meemu Atoll
Recent Conversations