We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

Hello,

we are travelling to Vilamendhoo in july/august and we would really love to see mantas and snorkel with them.

Is this the right time of the year for them to be there? Can they be seen on the housereef or do you have to go on a snorkeling trip?

It seems like everyone else on this forum is looking for the whale sharks... We went to Mexico last year and did a trip to snorkel with them. It was amazing! We saw at least 50 of them as they all gather at one point to eat plankton in the morning. In the afternoon they go deeper as the plankton is going deeper too at that time.

We didn't see any mantas there though, so we would really like to have the opportunity to see them in the Maldives.

Lebanon
Level Contributor
242 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

We saw many mantas last June, but we had to go on the whaleshark trip from lily beach which is just opposite villamendhoo. So your chances are quite high if you go on that trip :-)

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

You may be lucky enough to see one passing by on thehouse reef but your best option is to get signed up for the manta snorkelling trips. They go about two or three times a week but do get booked up quickly.

When you get there, check out the trip lists in reception and get your names down asap.

John

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

We were there 12-21 July last year and the whaleshark snorkelling trips saw lots of Mantas on the South near Diva and Sun Island

Simon

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

We were there mid July last year and my husband saw mantas on both the manta trip and the whaleshark trip. On the manta trip I was too slow getting off the boat and saw nothing :( And on the whaleshark trip I didn't even get into the water because the sea was hellishly rough. But I did see both the week after on a trip from a different island : )

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

I don't want to gloat but dived with one on the house reef at the end of May so anything is possible!

6. Re: Vilamendhoo in july/august: any chance to see mantas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:12