We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to know PJ

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
848 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to know PJ

Hi

Hope the experts or residents can provide some clues

1) Where can i find good nasi lemak/lontong/nasi padang etc in PJ

2) Where can i get good Indian food ?

3) Any good shopping areas in PJ?

4) Any pasar malam in PJ worth going for local tidbits, makan etc?

5) Anything else i shoudl explore in PJ?

Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,127 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to know PJ

I think it is difficult to recommend food or restaurants on the internet, as people will always have differing views as to what is good and what is not. So I am just telling you of places where I usually go to; and not claiming they are the best or anything like that.

1) For Nasi Padang, I normally go to Restoran Sederhana. This is located in PJ New Town, opposite the PJ Hilton. It is important that you go during lunch time only when the food is freshly made; during dinner it basically food left over from lunch.

Village Park is always promoted by the bloggers for their nasi lemak. I find it nothing special but you can try it. They also serve lontong. Its always crowded, so some people seem to like it. For me if I wanted nasi lemak, I would go to Restoran Kukus Stim Habis in Glenmarie, Shah Alam or Kampung Baru in Kuala Lumpur.

2) I do not know what type of Indian food you are looking for; but for banana leaf rice or roti canai, I go to Kanna Curry House at Section 17. This is a controversial choice, especially since they no longer use a banana leaf as a plate; but I like it here even though service can be iffy. Their roti canai is served hot and fluffy in the morning and their fried fish or squid is fried to order.

3) Shopping in PJ are at the malls. The biggest mall is of course 1Utama, one of the biggest in the world. Other malls you can go to include Paradigm Mall, Starling Mall, the Curve/IKEA, or other smaller neighbourhood malls like Tropicana Mall, Atria, Jaya Shopping Centre & Digital Mall (computer stuff), or Amcorp Mall.

4) Pasar Malam are held in different housing estates on different nights. The schedule is here:

mbpj.gov.my/ms/…2

Key: Isnin(Monday), Selasa (Tuesday), Rabu (Wednesday), Khamis (Thursday), Jumaat (Friday), Sabtu (Saturday) and Ahad (Sunday).

I think the SS2 (mainly chinese) one on Monday is quite big and you can combine it with a visit to the Wai Sek Kai (Glutton Street) food court.

5) Well PJ is mostly suburbia, so there really isn't too much in the way of purely touristy things to do.

If durian is in season, definitely visit the durian stalls in SS2.

Alternatively, try some of the cafes that have sprouted up all over the place. Wondermilk (cupcakes), A Pie Thing (pies), Strangers at 47 (crepes), Le Bread Days (croissants) and Jam & Kaya (pancakes).

There is a Thai buddhist temple you can visit. Bukit Gasing, last patch of forest in PJ, mainly for weekend hikers.

At the Sheraton PJ Hotel, go to the rooftop Sala Bar for a stunning view of PJ and KL.

Worse case if nothing else to do, go to neighbouring Subang Jaya for the Sunway Pyramid mall and the Sunway Lagoon theme park.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 13:18
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
848 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to know PJ

Thanks for all the recommendations. Am staying at Hilton, we did not try sederhana before. Will try.

One last question. Any good rated spa in PJ for some good massages to destress tired muscles?

Thanks

Reply to: Getting to know PJ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted