We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KK or Kuching?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
KK or Kuching?

Family vacation in June and first time in Malaysia. We are looking at both KK and Kuching for 3 nights in June. Can anyone tell us pros an cons of both these places please? We are travelling with 2 kids aged 7and 1, so any suggestions reg. family accommodation etc would be great

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KK or Kuching?

In my opinion Kuching is better for your famiy trip, in 3 days you can visit the city, the Cat Museum, Sarawak Cultural Village, Bako park, Semenggoh and some longhouse.

Bye.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KK or Kuching?

Hi iyers,

Another vote for Kuching from me... have a look at the Lime Tree Hotel: www.limetreehotel.com.my

Cheers ツ

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KK or Kuching?

I'd also go for Kuching, it's a lovely town, great feel about the place.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KK or Kuching?

Most definitely Kuching, loads to do.

Also if travelling from Singapore, flight time to KCH is half that of KK.

What's your hotel budget? Do you want a pool too?

Check out 'Kuching hotels'

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g298309-Kuching_Sar…

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
299 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KK or Kuching?

I'll put my vote down for Kota Kinabalu.

The TAR Marine Park 10 minutes from the city offers beach, snorkeling and plenty of life to entertain parents and kids.

The nightly markets are colourful places for browsing and eating interesting snacks and food.

Between the Rasa Ria's orang utan sanctuary and Lok Kawi zoo, you can get to all of Borneo's wildlife close up and then some (not quite the wildlife safari, but interesting and up-close for kids).

There are various cultural villages to choose from where you can get a glimpse of traditional games, food and customs.

There's a few sedate wildlife options your family will enjoy - especially the Proboscis Monkey and Firefly Cruise, which ends of with the magical sight of fireflies as you cruise back to origin in the dark.

There's food aplenty - from the Philippino markets to more local food you can manage on one trip, plus lots of international options from western, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese to German, Spanish and Italian.

For family accommodation the top drawer is the Rasa Ria. If you want something closer to town try Sutera Harbour - about 10 minutes taxi ride from town and you can choose the resorty Magellan or the more city style Pacific - either of which offers plenty of resort hotel entertainment and food, whilst still being on the edge of town.

Otherwise, have a look at the Hyatt Regency Kinabalu for 5-star city accommodation, or the Promenade Hotel for more affordable options. Horizon Hotel and Ming Garden are lower grade but newer, so can offer good prices for new rooms.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KK or Kuching?

Vote for Kuching.

Easier place to travel to get to the desired destination

west australia perth
Level Contributor
626 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KK or Kuching?

G,DAY.

Kota Kinabalu is miles in front, much cleaner lots more to see and do, much better hotels, food options, shopping and the highlight, the people are the most friendly you will ever meet. A no brainer.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 16:54
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KK or Kuching?

As you dont give anyone an idea what you would like to do for a family holiday, its not easy to suggest which city is better for you as both can be a great place to visit depending on your likes/dislikes.

As others have suggested things to do in each place, I wont add more.

Please note that going to bako or TAR marine park will involve a boat ride in the sea.

Happy holiday planning.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KK or Kuching?

Thanks all for all the information! We are currently biased towards KK as there is a great deal on in the Le Meridien, apart from the attractions. Will post later on updates and the final plan! Thanks again! :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KK or Kuching?

@staynaway

You've clearly got a real thing for KK, but to say its 'much cleaner lots more to see and do, much better hotels, food options' I think is rather biased, not to say unfair.

Having spent time in both places extensively, they are both very different and interesting in their own special ways.

@iyers

The decision is certainly NOT a no brainer!!

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu
Recent Conversations