We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banggi Island

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Banggi Island

Has anyone been to Banggi Island? If so, would any of you recommend it as a day trip from Kudat?

14 replies to this topic
Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banggi Island

goto link

http://www.mysabah.com/wordpress/?p=222

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banggi Island

I have been recently- its about 1.5 hours from kudat- ferries depart 9.00am and 2.00pm I think.

There is only one place to stay as far as i am aware and its basic. for a day trip you may struggle- they are not geared up for tourism- you could go to the Bonggi Resort (resort is misleading) it is a small number of very basic rooms. They could organise you a car / boat, but its pricey as you are a capitve audience. About 100RM for a boat.

There is nothing really in the port when you arrive there so you would need transport,...if you are up for a bit of an adventure and potential standing around to find a taxi/ asking around - then you will find soem amazing deserted beaches! Saying that, I would prefer to go up to the Tip of Borneo instead (30 mins drive from Kudat) as there beaches are equally nice and the place is easier to get to, more built up (only slightly) - we loved it.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banggi Island

Hi travellers!

I find Banggi Island to be very interesting! Yes, there is not much development there, and there is where you can see how Sabah "Was" before all the developments. A Great Experience i assumed!

Some info if you plan to visit Banggi, there is 1 schedule ferry that departs from Kudat - Banggi island, at 1pm, it takes 1 hour, at RM18 for first class & RM15 for Economy class seat. But it is not possible to do a day trip as the ferry only depart once a day, the ferry that depart from Banggi island - Kudat leave the island at 7.15am.

Yes, there is a place to stay, they call is "Bonggi Resort". It charges RM30 for fan & RM45 for aircon room. This is also the place where you can experience staying on top of a tree.

Take note, electricity is availanle from 6pm-6am only.

Happy travelling!

Nickie

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banggi Island

Travelled there in april. We stayed at the homestay over the water and found it to be much better than the banggi "resort" haha. It is just past the banggi resort and the people who own it are very welcoming. They have a boat and can take you for a day trip to any of the islands. Just ask for the homestay over the water people will know where to take you.

Puchong New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banggi Island

We have been there recently, staying 2 nights. We stayed at the homestay (55 and 100 RM depending on quality of the room). This island does not have any major attractions and the harbor town is quite ugly. But still it was unforgettable trip. We got caught by philliphino guy Jimmy as we arrived in the jetty. He took us on whole day ride through the island on his Toyota (we were 6 and a kid, so some of us sat on the back). It was about 150 RM per the car, the road was rough, muddy, went through colorful villages and jungle. It felt like kinda Camel Trophy really, nice and adventurous, worth the money. He is nice to talk person. Stories about smuggling... We asked where we can get rum, he said here and stopped right there and we got a rum straight from a smuggler and drunk on back of the truck, he inside too... I highly recommend this guy if you want to see the island. He will probably approach you when you arrive. The interior of the island is beautiful, no oil palms, just bananas, coconuts and jungle. Beach is nothing special though.

Next day we have organized island hopping on nearby islands with the homestay owner. It was 240 RM, I think it is a bit pricey but we shared it and wanted to see 3 islands, being left on one over night and brought back the next day.

This was real highlight of the Banggi trip. After seeing 2 islands (better average) we were left on uninhabited Pulau Maliangin Kecil where we wanted to do our survivor experience. The island was beautiful, specially after we burned all the plastic bottles brought by high tide. The snorkeling was better than in Mabul, Kapalai, Sibuan etc. in Tun Sakaran (we have not been to Sipadan). We made a bonfire, tried to catch fish and shake down coconuts (unsuccessfully), hided from the storm in the sea and slept under the sky. Next day we explored the island, walked around (a bit hard and dangerous on the rocks). If you do the same, please do not leave any rubbish behind and clean even what is not yours. This is probably one of the last islands in Sabah, where you can have such experience. We were not allowed to do this on any of Tun Sakaran Islands.

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Banggi Island

Anyone can tell me, how can i book/ contact the homestay.

I will be there in July, but cant find the information. Many thanks

Kota Kinabalu...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Banggi Island

Hi! The nicest place to stay is located near the main jetty called Karakit. It's called Sri Maliangin Homestead. It's just basic but it's clean and the sunrise viewed from the end of the catwalk can be spectacular. Call 0138773912/0138851286/0195310999. I occationally go to Banggi Island to work and always love my stay there. The food at the food stalls on water is not bad. The seafood practically just leaped out of the sea!!! The journey there on good weather is lovely especially when passing the smaller islends near Banggi. I haven't landed on these BUT I will soon enough!

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Banggi Island

Hello, there.

I would like to bring my friends(10 ppl) go to Pulau Banggi, I would like to ask your help, if any way to accommodate them there. Thank you very much.

9. Re: Banggi Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 October 2015, 07:05

Kota Kinabalu
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Banggi Island

Hi,

how much would the locals charge to take someone to Maliangin Besar Island. It is not too far south from Banggi.Approximately of course. Is there anyone I could phone on Banggi regarding availability of small boats?

Thanks, Kimberly.

Reply to: Banggi Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted