We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Hi, I am thinking of doing a day trip to Bukit Merah, I am looking at booking a driver through Ocean Jupiter. What other way is there get there and do you think it is worth the day including Eco park and the water park? Thanks

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Jessie,

OJ provides a great service with English speaking, knowledgeable drivers.

There is always the option of hiring a rental car and doing it yourself.

Public transport would be difficult and time consuming.

If you are travelling with children, don't forget the swimmers, and I'm sure you will have a great day.

We were there for 6 hours and enjoyed our time there.

Note, when it is raining the bird show is cancelled.

Gaja

Melbourne
Level Contributor
166 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Gaja,

Do you know if you can book ocean jupiters (is that right) once in Penang? Or do you need to book in advance? We haven't yet decided if we want to do this trip but have it on the maybe list.

Thanks.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

I make my bookings before leaving OZ, but I know others have booked whilst staying in Penang. Ocean Jupiter can be contacted by email at ojtours@yahoo.com .

There shop is located at Batu Ferringhi nearly opposite Long Beach hawker food centre.

Gaja

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Thanks so much Gaja, we will go with OJ. It sounds like a great day but not much information or reviews are written about this place. I only found it by mistake reading through forums and someone suggested it :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you take and apply plenty of sun screen...am sure you will enjoy the day ..its a great place

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Thanks Roostown, it does sound great, the only reason I heard of this place was a post by you somewhere else ty :)

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Hi Jessie, we've been to bukit me rah twice and it is fantastic! Don't miss it! Allow the whole day and if possible ask the driver to act as your guide. We found it best to go to see the orangoutangs first then the Ecopark (check the times for the shows and make sure you get to see them) then on to waterpark (it's an amazing sight seeing all the locals swimming fully dressed). We are off again in 2 days and will be going for our third time.

Enjoy!

Roz.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

This is copied from a reply we made to a post back in June this year, telling of our trip to Bukit Merah...............

www.bukitmerahresort.com.my/orangutan.htm

Bukit Merah has the Orang Utan Island, an Eco Park, and a Water Park. We visited the Orang Utan Island and the Eco Park for the first time in February this year, and have already decided we're going back again!

We would recommend going on a weekday so there are less people, we (ourselves and Maggieomx) were (other than the staff) the only people on Orang Utan Island when we visited. You have to catch a ferry / boat out to the island, they run half hourly on weekends and every 45 minutes on weekdays (so you get a bit more time on the island on weekdays).

The Orang Utans are basically able to roam the island freely, it is the tourists who are in the cage, as you walk out in a mesh enclosed tunnel to visit with the Orang Utans. You can also view the Orang Utans playing at the waters edge from a boardwalk platform area (so no mesh to look through). In addition, the nursery for the baby Orangs (when we visited they had successfully bred 16 babies, and had two in the nursery) has one wall of glass where you can watch the babies sleeping, eating, or just being little ratbags and climbing all over their cots - absolutely gorgeous and completely mesmerising. There is also a glass enclosed training section where you can see the "toddler" Orang Utans learning things such as climbing etc. The idea of this place is that when fully rehabilitated the Orang Utans will be released back into the wild in Sarawak.

We got to Bukit Merah fairly late in the afternoon so by the time we got to the Eco Park ( www.bukitmerahresort.com.my/ecopark.htm ) some of the animals had been returned to their beds for the night (the bunnies, guinea pigs etc), however we still got to check out the monkeys, binturong, lizards, deer, chickens, koi and a few others. You can purchase food at the entry to feed the animals, they have information as to what you can feed to which animals.

We hired a car and driver through Ocean Jupiter ( http://oceanjupiter.com/ ), combining our visit with a trip up Maxwell Hill / Bukit Larut in Taiping. If you wanted to make it a real animals day, you could combine Bukit Merah with the Taiping Zoo. Yes, it is a zoo, so not really what you're in to, however we really enjoyed our visit to it last year, we found most of the enclosures to be large and open, and very few of the animals to be caged as such. We have friends (lilandnorm on this forum) who got there mid morning and happened to jag feeding time, so they even got to help feed the hippos!

................. we hope to eventually have enough time to actually put up a review about the place, but sadly things like going to work, plus doing generic housework and gardening, and planning future holidays takes out an awful lot of our day... And of course then there's sleep, speaking of which it's just about time to do that again ;o)

Seriously worth a visit, and worthwhile spending at least half a day there!

Lise & Sabrina

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Thanks for all this info, I've read it all and going to use it myself. I never knew this place existed!

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Bukit Merah Orangutan Island

Lise & Sabrina,

Nice report guys. How much did you pay for the car and driver and how long does it take to get there from say BF?