We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

Does it really take a half to a full day travelling by bus from Kuala Lumpur to Penang? Can somebody tell me how many hours to travel? If it does take almost a full day then maybe I should fly instead, Somebody please enlighten me. I thought it would only take about 4 to 5 hours trip.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

About 4.5 hrs bus ride , factor another 1.5 hrs to get to Kl bus stn and then to yr Penang hotel.

KTB operates budget (Plusliner, Konsortium) and deluxe(NICE) buses.

http://www.ktb.com.my/

supernice.easibook.com/onlinebooking.aspx

The buses will terminate at either Sg Nibong bus terminal(20 mins taxi ride to Georgetown) or at Butterworth. If the latter, then a short walk to take a 20 mins ferry ride to Penang island.

Air tickets are cheap if you purchased early. Firefly and Air Asia has several trips a day.

www.fireflyz.com.my/flights/book-nowlines

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,245 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

Hi

If you factor in all the getting to the various pick up and / or drop off points then yes it does take that long.

Even the 40min flight will take the best part of half a day - 30-60mins to get to one of the two airports, 1 hour check in, 30-60 min flight, 30 min disembarking, then 30mins to Georgetown . . . so that is 3-5 hours!

The buses have a actual journey of around 5 hours (which is half a day) plus the getting to the various pick up and / or drop off points

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

I cant book Bus tickets for Plusliner or Nice bus service using my credit card, it asks for a maybank account which i obviously dont have since i dont live in Malaysia, can someone help me,how to book bus tickets using my credit card

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

SuperNice accepts ..Visa ..Mçard and Amex on their online booking website

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

You can book online for Aeroline buses, as it depart on time and keep to their fleet of buses. It departs from Corus hotel (KL) and drop off points are either Queensbay Mall or Sg Nibong bus terminal where there are taxis stands.

Unless you are travelling during peak season ( Malaysia and Spore school holidays, public holidays), you can purchase bus tickets a day before travelling.

www.journeymalaysia.com/calendar2011.htm

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

The train is the comfortable, easy and traditional way to do this journey, and has been for 100 years.

There are two daytime trains with spacious first class cars from Butterworth (where the frequent ferry shuttle comes in from Penang) to KL Sentral, at 08:00 (arriving 14:06) or 14:00 (arriving 21:05). Or there's a time-effective overnight sleeper departing Butterworth 23:00, arriving KL Sentral at 06:40.

I took one of the day trains from Butterworth to KL myself back in February, it's a really nice ride up through the hills past thick jungle, over a causeway across a lovely lake, calling at colonial-era wayside stations, and rolling past huge palm and rubber plantations, slowly but now non-stop through Kuala Lumpur's historic Moorish-style railway station of 1911, right into downtown KL to terminate at the new Sentral Station.

The train itself consisted of modern air-conditoned stainless-steel coaches, a little worn inside, but with big first class reclining armchairs. A refreshment trolley brough snacks and coffee, but feel free to bring your own food and drink along.

Think of this journey as an integral part of your trip and your Malaysia experience, not as wasted time (as a flight would be!). Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy the ride!

The fare is only about 40 ringgit (£7 or $12) in 2nd class, or if you want to push the boat out(!) it's all of 67 ringgit (£12 or $20) in first class.

You can easily buy at the station in Butterworth, or at the KTM ticket counter at the ferry terminal on Georgetown, or online at www.ktmb.com.my (you can also check schedules online of course)

Edited: 26 July 2011, 15:37
Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

Thank you all for the information provided. Much appreciated.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

The Supernice website seems to be down, http://www.supernice.com.my/

The Train Website is also not responding, i will be trying again though

9. Re: Distance between Penang and Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 04:48