We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi: Weather in August?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi: Weather in August?

Hello dear all! I am planning to visit Langkawi in August 2013, for a touristic beach vacation. Having heard that the weather in Langkawi in August can be really rainny (like 10 times more in a month than a whole year in Portugal!) I got somehow scaried about this...

I would like to hear some opinions and experiences from you who had been to Langkawi in August...

Is it tropical weather with some rain showers and then sunshine, where we can still hang out by the pool and beach, or is it all day round showers where you'll only be by the social areas and room?? Thanks in advance... Regards

Dev's Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Langkawi Mangrove Tour - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Langkawi Tour - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Hi

Usually when it rains on the island it is just a torrential downpour for a couple of hours and then the rain stops and it is fine again. Even when it rains it is still very hot and humid.

I am sure you will get more sun than you need........ ;o)

Lesley

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Thanks for your reply! :)

Langkawi
Level Contributor
868 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Langkawi has three stunning cascading waterfalls and they are at their most beautiful when it rains a lot. Langkawi is still very hot and humid during the rainy season. You can still swim at the waterfalls if it is raining.

I love Langkawi when it rains. I love driving in the rain and looking at all the clouds sticking to the mountains like in a Chinese painting. So go hang out at the beach if it is sunny and hang out at the waterfalls if it is raining. I think August is a great time to come.

Patrick

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Although Langkawi receives more than 300mm of rain in August, Steady is correct in what she says, it does not generally rain for that long. And it is very hot and humid in every month of the year, so from that point of view it does not matter when you go.

The sunniest time of the year is now in February when normally 70% of daylight hours are sunny – that’s 8 hours of sunshine a day. However in August the percentage only drops to 50% with 6 hours of sunshine on average. Sometimes also a downpour of rain in the afternoon can cool the air a bit.

Have a great time.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Thank you all, for your replies! Really appreciated! :) Just one more question: The Andaman, or Tanjung Rhu Resort?!

(For 6 adults, who enjoy pool and beach hanging, good eating and service, attention to details and some nice rooms with good ambience and design... Don't really enjoy the crowds, kids screaming, and confusion, but like hotels with some dimension and offers available...)

Most important: Service, Ambience, Restaurants, Relax, SPA.

Thanks in advance

Edited: 13 February 2013, 01:04
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Hi

You will get what you want from either of those hotels although you will probably find there are more children at the Andaman.

The Tanjung Rhu is lovely and it does have an adults only pool so again, no children around at that one. The fine dining restaurant, The Rhu, is excellent and the beach at Tanjung Rhu is one of the best on the island.

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Dear Oliceira,

don't go to the Andaman. I love that resort but you have far more rain up there! It is in the rainforest. It can happen that just a few miles further not a drop falls for weeks and up there it rains every day.

Tanjung Rhu is not far away but much drier!

Check out Casa del Mar and if you can enjoy your holiday without having a beach right in front Temple Tree and Bon Ton are stunning.

Eva

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Sorry for mis-spelling your name.

And for Spa, right opposite of Casa is Alun Alun Spa. My personal favorite on the island!

Eva

Langkawi
Level Contributor
868 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

Andaman and Tanjung Rhu caters to different personalities.

You mentioned spas and V Integrated Wellness Spa at Andaman is in my opinion the most fantastic luxury spa in Langkawi. Some luxury spas can match the service and the spa treatments, but the treatment rooms at the Andaman are all perched on the side of a cliff overlooking Datai Bay. The rooms are open-air, surrounded by low walls, giving you an absolutely stunning view all around.

Tanjung Rhu's fine dining restaurant The Rhu is where I had the greatest meal of my life a year ago. Wish I could afford to go there more often.

Andaman is dark and mysterious, with that awesome rainforest around it, whereas Tanjung Rhu is bright, spacious and scenic. Select Andaman if you want some unbelievable jungle walks or treks. Book Tanjung Rhu if you are squeamish about wildlife but want to go for some nice island-hopping tours in the northeast.

Penang Island...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi: Weather in August?

I,ve been to the Andaman quite recently- its great !,and Datai bay is one of the best beaches on the island.

I would say that the views are every bit as good- if not better than Tanjung Rhu.

The Andaman is quite remote so it would be mainly eating at the hotel etc or visiting The Datai hotel nearby.

I personally wouldn,t stop at Tanjung Rhu because of their policy of trying to prevent tourists from reaching the public beach area.A barrier and security guards are in place, to deter visitors.They claim the road is passing over their private property and its been the subject of debate on this forum before,so I,ll say no more on that subject.

Wherevever you choose to stay- have a great time.

Heyho !

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi
Recent Conversations