We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beaches in langkawi

Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best beaches in langkawi

Hi,

Reading a few of the other posts, I understand that the best beaches for walking/swimming include tanjung rhu, pentai cenang and burau bay.

We are staying at the Sheraton Beach resort, but is it possible to visit those beaches without staying at those resorts? In other words, are the beaches public access?

Also, is it safe to leave your stuff on the beach, while going to swim? In the US, I usually leave keys, sun-glasses, etc on a beach towel when I go to jump in the water. Is this ok on those beaches?

Thanks!

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beaches in langkawi

Dear Andrew.

all beaches in Malaysia are public. Even the one at the Four Seasons. They have a guard at the end of the beach pretending but you can ignore that, some beaches are difficult to access as the hotel's building kind of blocks it such as Datai, Tanjung Rhu and Westin. Normally the stuff is friendly enough if you combine it with a lunch at the beach or anything like this.

Apart from that you can charter a little boat, drive around the islands and discover your own beach!

Eva

Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beaches in langkawi

Ah, that's great to know - thank you very much! Would you say it's ok to leave your stuff on the beach while swimming?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beaches in langkawi

Hi

Yes it is quite safe to leave your things on the beach while you swim but do not take lots of cash or expensive jewellery to the beach with you.

Lesley

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beaches in langkawi

Hmm.... maybe not so safe if on a beach when there are monkeys around !!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beaches in langkawi

Haahaa yes you are right. Once one of them pinched my book and some others went through someones bag and took food and fruit.

Does depend where and what beach you are on as to whether there are monkeys around.

Lesley

6. Re: best beaches in langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:45