We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mangrove river (s)

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Mangrove river (s)

Hi, does anyone know of a budget place to stay close to the Jeti entrance of the mangroves ? or near to the other small jetty which sort of backs onto the Tanjung Rhu beach?

And also where is the Berjaya resort situated, I don't seem to be able to find it on any maps,

thanks

Ray

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
237 reviews
11. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Ray

So you are a Lancashire lad! Having visited Oz twice I can only say I am envious of you. We had loads of snow here yesterday so of course no public transport running! NIGHTMARE!

Lesley

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
12. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Snow!! that's that white cold flaky stuff innit :)

yep still a Lanky lad still got the accent ..still got a British passport..but live in Oz ha ha ,

Anyway I hope it thaws soon and dosn't turn to ice!

pity you can't just *pop* over to Langkawi, it must be quite a trip for you, we are so lucky here Bali is closer to me than Sydney, Malaysia Singapore Phillipines is only a day's travel away , but then again, I would sometimes like to nip over to the Lake district or the Yorkshire Dales :)

Ok, it is getting late here so I am off to fill my hot water bottle......sorry I mean turn the aircon off !! ;)

Ray.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
62 reviews
13. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Dear Ray,

I do not know of any guesthouse or hotel closed to Kilim but it is only 15 min. by car from Kuah.

When you explore the mangroves on your own - do so at rising time! Never at falling tide! One more tip: There is one cave in the area where you can go in only by kayak and only! at fullest hightide which means during full moon (but of course you go there during the day!) You need a torch. Boy, that is like a cathedrale. Get in touch with Jürgen Zimmerer, nobody knows the area as good as he does!

Eva

Langkawi
Level Contributor
35 posts
14. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi Ray

There are people on Langkawi who will rent you a sea kayak for Photography. You could try Jungle Wallah. You may end up sunstroked and a bit lost, but I don't think you'd come to any danger. yOU CAN GET A GPS made map from SK TRADING in Kuah of the Kilim River Mangrove area. This will help, but you would be best served with a "track" of your path so you can retrace your steps. The tributary off the Kisap is actually in my opinion some of the best nature on the island as its not used by the commercial tour boats and quiet is good for seeing wildlife.

Cheers

Hamish

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
62 reviews
15. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Dear Hamish,

I forgot that you are the second expert in the area. Your tip with the GPS is very good. I explored some areas last year on my own by dinghy and almost got lost! You mentioned "The tributary off the Kisap". Where is that?

By the way, do you know where I can buy a kayak?

Eva

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
16. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi Hamish

thanks for your reply, this is very good information for me , I am very very interested in the GPS map you mentioned, I will have a GPS for tracking my way in and out of the mangroves,but the map would be very helpful too, my trip won't be till the end of Feb\begining of March 09, so it would be awesome to get hold of this map beforehand so I could study it before arriving in Langkawi, I googled SK TRADING hoping they may be online!! but didn't come up with anything, if anyone is willing to post one to me in Australia I would gladly pay any costs involved ,

Thanks again Hamish and also Eva, you guys are always very helpful ,

Cheers

Ray.

There are people on Langkawi who will rent you a sea kayak for Photography. You could try Jungle Wallah. You may end up sunstroked and a bit lost, but I don't think you'd come to any danger. yOU CAN GET A GPS made map from SK TRADING in Kuah of the Kilim River Mangrove area. This will help, but you would be best served with a "track" of your path so you can retrace your steps. The tributary off the Kisap is actually in my opinion some of the best nature on the island as its not used by the commercial tour boats and quiet is good for seeing wildlife.

Cheers

Hamish

17. Re: Mangrove river (s)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 08:49