We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mangrove river (s)

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Mangrove river (s)

Hi, does anyone know of a budget place to stay close to the Jeti entrance of the mangroves ? or near to the other small jetty which sort of backs onto the Tanjung Rhu beach?

And also where is the Berjaya resort situated, I don't seem to be able to find it on any maps,

thanks

Ray

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi

The Berjaya is situated on the west (I think) of the island. If you can find the Oriental Village or Mutiara, Berjaya is very near both of those. Alternatively if you look south of the Datai you will find it. Berjaya is a big property which covers around 7 hectares.

Unfortunately can't answer your other question.

Lesley

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Thanks Lesley, I know were it is now , I am planning 2 trips next year, one kayaking the mangroves, the other with my wife, and we want to stay at the Berjaya,

Ray.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi Ray

If you want any info about Berjaya, please let me know. I have stayed there many times. It's like my second home!!

Lesley

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Thanks Lesley, one thing I was wondering, are there any walking trails (rain forest) close to the resort, I have read that Dev does a morning\evening walk, just wondering if you need a quide?

Ray

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi

Yes Dev does a morning/evening walk on certain days at Berjaya.

Dev (as well as a lot of other knowledgeable people) would advise strongly AGAINST going off into the rainforest alone as this can be extremely dangerous. Dev may be able to advise some short trails which you could try around the grounds at Berjaya. Have a word with him about it.

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Dear Ray,

and just to add to your conversation with Lesley: When you go to the mangroves with Dev's Adventure, they will pick you up from your resort.

Berjaya is a good choice!

Eva

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi

Thanks again Lesley,

We plan to the walks with Dev, so I will do as you suggest and have a chat with him about it , we did a mangrove trip with dev on our last trip , he is a really nice guy, and very interesting.

Yes Dev does a morning/evening walk on certain days at Berjaya.

Dev (as well as a lot of other knowledgeable people) would advise strongly AGAINST going off into the rainforest alone as this can be extremely dangerous. Dev may be able to advise some short trails which you could try around the grounds at Berjaya. Have a word with him about it.

Lesley

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi Ray

Dev did tell me that Berjaya are planning some walking trails through the rain forest in the resort grounds. These will be graded as to different fitness/experience levels. When these trails will be started/completed I would not like to say - everything moves much slower over there!!

However, these will be properly monitored with check in points and all safety precautions taken.

Should be good for anyone who is experienced with trekking to try.

The morning/evening walks with Dev are more like gentle strolls as they cater for young and old but you will see some really interesting things - as you say, Dev is great to talk to and so enthusiastic about his subject.

Lesley

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mangrove river (s)

Hi Eva,

I am planning 2 trips next year one with my wife at the Berjaya and another for me to do some Kayaking through the mangrove river, I am hoping I can hire a Kayak for maybe a week or so, this is also why I am looking for somewhere to stay close to the river,I am a keen photographer (but not good ha ha !) and want to spend some quality time on the river , I know from your post's that you don't reccomend people going through the mangroves alone and I understand that, I do have some experience Kayaking although not through mangroves, so I am thinking that I will take a gps for way points, I have found a web site that predicts the high tide low tide times for a week in advance, so will print that out for the week I will be there, bring along the usual emergancy meds etc. mobile phone .......and I am still planning so there could be more ha ha , if you have any advice it would be much appretiated.

Ray

Perth WA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mangrove river (s)

That sounds great Lesley, but I know what you mean about things moving slowly, my wife is filipino and everything she does is at a snails pace :)

I am from Preton lancs bye the way, but I have lived in Australia since 78 !

Ray