We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health precautions

cape cod
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Health precautions

Hi,

I will be visiting Langkawi for the first time Dec. 22-27. Are there any health concerns I should be aware of? Dengue Fever? Is the food safe to eat, water safe to drink, etc.

Thanks

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health precautions

Dear Walker,

luckily Langkawi is very safe as long as you do not go into the jungle or the mangroves alone or even at night without a trustworthy guide. We have no malaria or dengue fever. I eat and drink just like the locals since 3 years and never had any problems. Langkawi is fairly well developed and relatively clean.

Eva

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health precautions

Hi

In total agreement with Eva, we have never been ill when in Malaysia. I even drink water directly from the tap, and prefer street food when visiting, and never had any issues.

If you have concerns visit your doctor who can give up to the minute advice.

Mentioned in this post
Essex
Level Contributor
304 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health precautions

Hi - Ditto the above. We do use mosquito repellent however in the evenings as the little blighters can sometimes have a good nibble, although they are selective. You can buy all good brands on Langkawi though. Also, if you are unfortunate enough to have any accidents, as we did one year when my husband badly sprained his ankle, the hospital was great and had X-ray, diagnosis, bandage and painkillers prescribed all in less than an hour and this was at one in the morning!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health precautions

Hi

If you are prone to stomach upsets then stick to the bottled water and do not have ice in drinks. Bottled water is readily available and quite cheap so drink that rather than the tap stuff.

The thing you should worry about most is the sun and humidity. I've seen people with some nasty burns because of sitting in the sun far too long and the humidity can be very draining if you are not used to it so make sure you have adequate sunscreen and water with you at all times.

Food is very safe, quite often at the smaller places it is cooked to order so always piping hot.

Your tetanus injections should be up to date - but this would apply to anywhere you are travelling.

Enjoy

Lesley

5. Re: Health precautions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 08:48