We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Singapore
Level Contributor
303 posts
14 reviews
Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

May I know if Koh Lipe is affected by what's happening in Bangkok? Is is still safe to travel there? We had planned to travel there from Langkawi in mid-December, and would like to keep an update on the situation.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,230 posts
237 reviews
1. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Hi

As far as I can understand from the news here in the UK, the only place affected by the troubles is Bangkok airport and the surrounding area.

I know that tourists in Phuket new nothing of what was happening in Bangkok until they were informed by their tour guides.

If you keep checking the Thailand forum they will have better information on there, and also your Government website.

I think you should be ok in Koh Lipe unless the situation worsens between now and mid-December when you travel.

Lesley

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

I doubt that koh Lipe is affected however the backlog of passengers is taking it's toll on all other forms of transport with a lot of people having to travel overland from BKK to Phuket, Penang, Kl etc to try and get connecting flights out of the region.

Pics and stories of our trip here... www.thebobmarsh.com

Happy & safe travels

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Dear Jasmine,

I can not at all imagine that Koh Lipe is what so ever effected, especially when you go there via Langkawi. (Anything else I have no ideas about!) It is a small island. And islands are always much safer. I would almost give you my personal guarantee - do not worry! The problem in Thailand does not affect the outer islands!

Eva

Langkawi
Level Contributor
35 posts
4. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Hi Jasmine

You'll be fine flying in and out of Langkawi and then taking the ferry.

Cheers

Hamish

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
5. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Not wishing to scare any1 but Phuket is also affected as a friend of mine is stranded trying to rtn to UK...pls chk so this does not happen to you!

Singapore
Level Contributor
303 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Thank you, everyone who is helpful with the response. I feel better reading your messages. I'll still be keeping a look out. If you have any news from people you know in Koh Lipe, please post here to update. Thank you.

Looking forward to be in Langkawi next week.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Dear Jasmine,

friends of mine go to Koh Lipe on the 10th of December for their honeymoon - they would not opt for that if there would be any concern for safetiness.

Do not worry, the ferry would surely not go if there would be any problems!

Eva

Singapore
Level Contributor
303 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

Hi Eva, Thank you for kindly giving some reassurance.

9. Re: Is Koh Lipe affected by what's happening in Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 04:46
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi