We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need to book in advance at Langkawi in February?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Do you need to book in advance at Langkawi in February?

Hi,

I need help to find out if I need to book hotel in advance at Langkawi in Febrary?

We have traveled other places where we did not have to book in advance. But since this is an island and in hight season we are wondering if this is smart? We are looking to arrive on Langkawi 18th Feb to 3th Mar.

Is it necessary to book in advance at thsi time of year or wold there still be plenty of choice to just turn up?

Thanks very much!

4 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
826 posts
580 reviews
1. Re: Do you need to book in advance at Langkawi in February?

Last time we visited 2 years ago we didn't book until a week before, and we got caught out. It was the end of Chinese New year ( beginning of February) and most places we liked were booked or overpriced. You don't say how you were looking at booking your stay- if I were looking at going again I would keep an eye on prices and availability on a site like Booking.com or hotels.com ,and if I saw something I liked I'd try to book it on a pay when you turn up basis. That way you have options- if the prices drop you can cancel and rebook, but at least you have somewhere to stay.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Do you need to book in advance at Langkawi in February?

Thank you for your reply, it help a lot.

We thought either to book a hotel through Booking.com, Hotels.com, or just turn up. The problem with just showing up, is that there may be little availability at the hotels we want to stay at. We have not experienced a problem with this before, but since we haven't been to Langkawi we were not sure.

I think we will keep an eye on prices, and book in advance through Booking.com or Hotels.com.

Thank you very much

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
241 reviews
3. Re: Do you need to book in advance at Langkawi in February?

Hi

You will probably be better booking your accommodation rather than just turning up and wandering around.

Chinese New Year will more or less be over at the time you are coming but the island will still be busy as February is part of the peak holiday season.

Clark Freeport...
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
4. Re: Do you need to book in advance at Langkawi in February?

Like what @Oda E said, I'll also recommend you to use either Booking.com or Agoda. It is also better for you to reserve now.

Booking.com and Agoda have free cancellation privilege and most of the rooms do not require advanced payment. There are some options though wherein you can get it in a cheaper/discounted rate if you pay now via card. But if you cannot really guarantee your stay or you might still consider choosing another accommodation a few weeks before your travel for your own convenience and satisfaction, then you can just buy rooms there that offer free cancellation and no pre-payments so whenever you change your mind, you can cancel anytime.

Book now for better assurance.

Since Langkawi is an Island countryside and not a city, I'll not recommend checking-in on the spot. You'll only have little chances of getting a good one especially if it's peak season.

Reply to: Do you need to book in advance at Langkawi in February?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi