We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

Hi,

I am travelling with my wife to Langkawi, Malaysia on 16th Nov'18 for 5 days. Can someone assist me as how much cash we can carry and which currency to bring in Malaysia. If i convert INR to USD in India and then USD to MYR in Malaysia, will i get better exchange rate? Flight, hotel and Visa paid. Have to spent money for Lunch and dinner along with activities to do in Langkawi like Cable car, Jet skee, Under water world, Parasailing, Sky bridge etc.

Thanks,

Nitin Verma

6 replies to this topic
Helsinki
Level Contributor
695 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

Bring IRN. You can change INR to MYR when you arrive.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

I would recommend changing some Malaysian Ringgit (RM) in India itself, so that you can use to purchase tickets or SIM cards when you touchdown. Credit cards and debit cards can be accepted in most places in Langkawi, except for small stalls and stores. Before you sign up for any activities or eat at any restaurant, just ask them if they take cards. Just remember to activate your cards for international spending. There are ATM's in Langkawi should you need to withdraw more money. RM300 - RM400 cash daily should cover food, massage, some shopping, one or two small activities on Pantai Cenang, Langkawi.

Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

Suggest buy USD currency and then exchange around $100 at the KL airport since you need some RM at Langkawi once you land.

Rest you may exchange at Langkawi money changers. Don't exchange at airport since rates are bad.

You won't get RM currency in India since banks hardly stock this currency as it's not as popular as USD,Pounds,Euro etc.

Also get a forex card load it with USD and you can pay in RM at Langkawi.

On how much you need to carry depends on how much you want to spend. All activity rates are available on their websites or here on TripAdvisor

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,490 posts
241 reviews
4. Re: Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

Hi

Worst place to change currency is at the airports as they give the worst rates. Much better to use one of the money changers on the island.

1 post
5. Re: Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

Carry bare minimum MYR from India, usually markup is about 4-5%.

Also lot of places: rides and cruises can be paid by cash. Almost all shops and restaurants accept cards (don't expect open air shops to accept cards)

Also Grab can be set up with credit card, found very useful.

Personally would not recommend to use debit card for cash withdrawal, sice was not sure about the charges involved.

Regarding credit cards, used SBI they charge exact marketrate + 3.5% excluding tax.

Some cards charge card rate which are already higher by few %ge + service charge of 3-4 %. Best thing to do is to check the conversion rate in the unbilled statement online before making multiple purchases.

Regarding cash MYR/INR, would also depend on city. In Mumbai got at 18.5INR/MYR (roughly 4.5% higher than market rate). At cochin airport it was at 20.5!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,602 posts
2,278 reviews
6. Re: Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia

<<If i convert INR to USD in India and then USD to MYR in Malaysia, will i get better exchange rate?>> Converting from two different currencies is not a great idea as you will loose out twice with the exchange rate. Convert the currency you have in Malaysia when you arrive.

Reply to: Hw mch and which currency to carry, travel India to Malaysia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted