We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreign Currency

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Foreign Currency

I am travelling to Langkawi at the beginning of May, can anyone tell what is the best currency to take? I was thinking of malaysian ringgits and US dollar travellers cheques. I understand US dollar travellers cheques as opposed to Pound Sterling travellers cheques do not charge for commission when you exchange them, is this correct?

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Foreign Currency

Take Sterling. Good exchange rate. A friend took USD when we were there in March and found GBP would have been a lot easier. Cash is better than travellers cheques. Or use your credit card.

Okehampton, Devon
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Foreign Currency

we have just come back & only used ATM's, great exchange rate. got as high as 7.2 - 1 pound, charged 1.75 on 200 pounds, which goes a long way. less hassle too!

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Foreign Currency

Hi, can you use Switch/Maestro out there? My credit card company love to charge a small fortune to get cash...

Okehampton, Devon
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Foreign Currency

you can use switch/ maestro as long as it has the cirrus logo on yr card. had no problems with atm's in langkawi/ or malaysia. purchases on credit cards are not subject to charges. cash for the markets/eating out, credit card for this lap top- very cheap in KL! hope this helps.