We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money, Money!

Thames Ditton...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Money, Money!

Hi,

I know this is fairly random, but we are going to Pelangi beach resort for 12 days at the end of the month on honeymoon. We are bed and breakfasting, so will be going out to eat every night etc.

How much cash should we budget to spend over the time there on eating out?

Will ��500 be enough?! Unsure of the cost of a meal, drinks etc.

any advice?

thanks Robin

wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money, Money!

Stayed in Langkawi 4 years ago and it cost us ��5 for a gorgeous meal and drinks al night. A very large bottle of beer cost about 40p. May have gone up since then, but going again in 3 weeks so hope not. Its one of the cheapest places I've ever been too and I think ��500 will go a very long way. As an example, at the time 200 cigarrettes cost ��2.50.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money, Money!

Hi there,

Approx 7 rgt to 1 pound sterling so one is about 15p.

Meals cost from 25 to 50 rgt drinks about 8 to 20 rgt in restaurants about 2.50 rgt for a can of beer at the supermarkets. We fill our mini bar up with that

Cheapest place to eat out is the Tok Senik open air diner on roadside opp. snake sanctuary food is very good there and the owner thinks that the locals should be able to afford to eat out so very cheap. Lots of eating places between Pelangi and Ascenia hotel - painted pink. T.J's opp Underwater World is a fantastic Italian (about 25rgt) and the best cup of tea on the island. Lighthouse and Bon Ton are fantastic but you can expect to pay 45rgt for a steak and about 15 for a friut juice freshly squeezed.

Taxi should cost about 10rgt to those places or you can hire one for 60trg for three hours to take you anywhere. If in Kuah there are some great eating places and very cheap.

It you want a good indian go to boom boom corner near Ascenia. There are so many places to eat that I can't name them all but we havent ever had a bad meal.

Cigarettes work out about 38rgt for 200.

Remember that Langkawi is a duty free island so don't be tempted to buy at duty free in airports until you see prices on the island.

You say you are going bed and breakfast, we always do, make sure that you have a good breakfast that will set you up for the day. Keep plenty of pop in you fridge and don't drink too much alcohol until after the sun goes down you get dehydrated enough from the sun remember however much cocktails are thirst quenching they contain lots of alcohol

Water is safe to drink so there is no worried about having ice in your drinks

Hope this helps - Hav a good time.

Leigh

Mentioned in this post
Underwater World Langkawi
Underwater World Langkawi
2,090 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Bon Ton Resort
Bon Ton Resort
627 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Kuah
Kuah
Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
england
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money, Money!

Hi there

Does anyone know if the Cactus restaurant is still open opposite the Holiday villas? I am going room only and am hoping that i can get breakfast there.

I will be grateful for help.

Mentioned in this post
Cactus Restaurant
Cactus Restaurant
769 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money, Money!

We are off to the Pelangi Beach Resort in June for our Silver Wedding so please let us know how you get on and what the resort is like.