We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
59 reviews
2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Hi - can anyone please give me some suggestions? We have 2 wks to spend in Malaysia in July and will be travelling with our 8 yr old son. Nothing is booked yet, except our flights in and out of KL. We would like to see something of Malaysia and dont want to spend all our time in an anonymous resort full of other tourists (although a few days by a lovely beach would be good). And we are on a fairly tight budget! However, it would be good to have a pool where possible to keep the young one happy! I had thought of having a day or two in KL to recover from flight and then doing Taman Negara park for a couple of days, then up to Kota Bharu (is there an inland road? I cant find a good road map)(or should we get the jungle railway?)and then down the coast to Kuantan and back to KL. Does this sound too much? I have no idea of distances and road conditions! Local knowledge gratefully received! Thankyou..Berni.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
113 reviews
1. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Yes there is an inland road from Taman Negara to Kota Bharu, travel via Jerantut, Kuala Lipis and Gua Musang.

Road conditions in peninsular malaysia are generally quite good with plenty of signage, so you should not face too much problems.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Driving in Malaysia is much easier than in London, you just have to be careful of the bikes!

All signage in English and rules of the road the same although sometimes you just have to forget the rules.

I dont know the area that you are talking about though as husband from Penang.

If you are on a tight budget eat like a local and you will be fine.

Have a great time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Thanks for your help. We still dont really know what we are doing at all and may yet visit Penang - I had only thought of Taman Negara because my husband wants to see the jungle!

I had been slightly put off the West coast because of 1) reports of the sea not being very clean and 2) it being wet season while we are there.. Should these things affect us? And if we drive to Penang, how long would it take us?

If anyone can give us any advice I would be very happy. Thanks again - Berni.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
4. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Cannot predict weather. Feb was supposed to be HOT, but we did get a couple of rainy days.

KL>Penang - For budget travel, you don't have to drive, sit back and relax as it is cheaper to take the the standard aircon coach which cost about RM24-36 per pax/one way at Pudu Bus Terminal or old KTM.

Coaches depart frequently, like every 2 hrs.

For batu Ferringhi(near beach location) Sri Sayang Service Apartments is affordable, with low rates for weekdays.

http://www.cuti.com.my/hotel.htm?doit=showhotel&country=Malaysia&state=Penang&city=Batu+Ferringhi

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Thanks for that - how long does the coach take?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
6. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

KL-Pg is about 4.5 hrs, arrive in Sri Nibong Bus Terminal where you take a taxi to hotel.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
7. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

There are many companies for KL>Pg-

1) Transnational Express (aircon) charge RM26.80(adult) and RM 13.40(child). Cheaper than highway tolls and petrol!

Departure time:- 9:00am, 10:30am, 5:30pm, 11:00pm, 11.59pm.

Departure venue is MATIC, Jalan Ampang in KL city.

nadi.com.my/transportation_routes_express2.a…

2) Plusliner Express(aircon)

www.cuti.com.my/guide/plusliner_fare.htm

The deluxe coaches which comes with big comfy seats will be around RM50-58 per pax.

Kuala Lumpur
10 posts
8. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Hi Berni. Your proposed trip/coverage for two weeks in Malaysia is not too much.I would like to suggest that after Taman Negara, you go to Kota Bharu in the state of Kelantan.Kota Bharu is rich in Malay cultures. After Kota Bharu you can go to a popular resort island - Perhentaian Island(it is not too crowded). You can take a boat ride from Kuala Besut to Perhentaian island(Kuala Besut is about 1 hour taxi ride from Kota Bharu).The boat ride is less tan 1 hour.The island is very nice. You can go snorkeling or scuba diving there.

After the island trip, you can come back to Kuala Besut and travel to Kuantan, taking the coastal road. The scenery is really nice.In Kuantan, may be you would like to stay in the hotels/chalet by the beaches. They are very nice (if you like the beaches).Kuantan-Kuala Lumpur bus trip will take about 3 hrs(250 km distance).

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
59 reviews
9. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

Thankyou. That was actually my original plan, taking the jungle railway to Kota Bharu. I just got a bit worried about the distances involved. I think we will probably do exactly as you suggest. I had thought that maybe we could stay at the Perdana resort just outside Kota Bharu - does anyone know anything about this hotel? I have only seen their website but haven't seen any reviews.

Also - this may sound strange - but as a western woman would I be able to swim in a pool or at the beach near Kota Bharu? I understand it is very Islamic there. Thanks again - Berni.

Kuala Lumpur
10 posts
10. Re: 2 wks in august - on a budget with an 8 yr old!

I have stayed at Perdana Beach Resort about 1 year back. The Hotel is okay...may be I would grade it as a 2 1/2 to 3 star hotel. I think that is the best accommodation you can get at the beach (called PCB or Pantai Cahaya Bulan...meaning beach of the moonlight). Around the area, they have a lot of batik making factories. If you have the time, you may like to visit them.

About taking the bath in the swimming pool, it is not a problem. But I would suggest you wear a "1 piece swim suit" which is less revealing. If you want to bathe by the beach, please be careful. Some parts of the beach may be deep.