We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JB or not JB

Brisbane
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
JB or not JB

Hello.

Just planning a return visit to KL early next year. We love Malaysia and are regulars to Penang.

I was thinking about stopping in JB for 3 or 4 nights to take the kids to Legoland and Hello Kitty etc while they're still young(ish), 5 and 10... and maybe a few other things while we're there.

My plan so far is to fly into Singapore, private transfer from Changi to JB. 3 or 4 nights in JB. Then head up to KL and stop in Malacca for lunch. Then the rest of the holiday in KL.

We'd then base ourselves in KL for a week, see local sites, relax, maybe take the kids to the Batu caves etc.

So, is JB a good option or just give it a miss and just go to KL?

Thanks for your help :)

7 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: JB or not JB

Hi BMHT,

Most people don’t spend nights in JB. I can understand that you want to try Legoland etc, but maybe take them to Petrosains in KL as well as Kidzania then maybe Sunway Lagoon and also there is the theme park at Times Square. We also took our fella to indoor archery at Times Square as well, Batu Caves as you mentioned is great for kids, just watch out for the monkeys. You probably have been to some of the places I have mentioned before but thought throw them in just in case. If you are in Singapore are you considering Sentosa Island as well.

We love Malaysia as well and can’t wait to return in January

Cheers

Sean

Brisbane
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: JB or not JB

Hi... we were just in Singapore and decided not to go to Legoland as we thought it was too big a day trip. So I thought for the next trip we'd give Singapore a miss and and spend the time in JB... just for something different.

My kids loved the science centre in KL and only 1 child has experienced the monkeys at the caves. We've never made it to Time Square or even up to the observation deck of the Towers.... although we've been a few times to KL. (Hahaha) .. So, we still have things to do and see there.

We've stopped trying to cram 100 things into each holiday and if we like a place we tend to go back for repeat visits.

Thanks for your ideas.

Cheers!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: JB or not JB

If it is a private transfer to your hotel in Johor Bahru , i don't see why not if u want to..

Do the full spectrum of kids actvities places like Thomas Town as well as less known places like Angry Birds , Dinosaur Alive..

Of course KL has a lot of activities for kids as well so this is just throwing additional options for you in Johor...

If you wanna stay near Legoland but not at Legoland Hotel , there are still enough accomodation choices in this area...

The area near Doubletree Hilton is convenient & centralised for most daily stuff but u can stay at KSL Resort or Legoland Hotel if u wan easy accessibility to at least 1 of your intended destination...

《《《 Angry Birds Park at Komtar JBCC》》》

http://www.angrybirdsactivitypark.my

《《《 Dinosaur Alive Theme Park at KSL Resort》》》

…johor.my/tours/…

I don't visit this places but my nephews & nieces as well as friends' kids with their parents ...

1 additional option is to go past Kuala Lumpur to Ipoh instead... if you have not visited this laidback town..

Check it out if the attractions in Ipoh , are of interest or they bore you...

Cheers

Scooby

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: JB or not JB

Legoland is great for kids, so if you are using Singapore as a transit hub, you might as well spend a night or two in JB, but I wouldn't go 3 or 4.

Are you hiring a car to drive from JB/Malacca/KL? You might also consider that Air Asia has flights from barely AUD$20 from JB to KL.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: JB or not JB

Hi. I am local. I may say Why Not? : )

My kids visited Legoland & Hello Kitty before. Parents may think its boring but so far kids may enjoy. You may refer to my others post on today for Johor Bahru fo Legoland, Accommodation & transportation ( KTM Train JB-Singapore booking trips. Usually all peak hours tickets will be sold out 1 months before by those working people in singapore). The grab car charge is reosonable in Johor Bahru town area too.

Fyi another new spot is coming in next month. Capital City, Entertainment Mall. There will be a New Theme Park and Mini Circus in this mall. My family visited the Mini Circus Pre opening show last month. You may visit their wedsite coming soon. This mall located abt 20 minutes driving distance from town area.

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: JB or not JB

Give JB a try, 2 nights should be enough.

JB is not crowded like KL and Singapore, good for seafood. Legoland, Hello Kitty, Angry Birds for small kids. Unless you plan to stop at Melaka, like TN007 suggested taking flight from JB to KL is easier and faster.

Philippines
9 posts
7. Re: JB or not JB

Taking the causeway bus from JB to KL is fine too. Last time here we left SG first WTS bus to JB, spent the day at Legoland and that area in hello kitty, then took the 6pm Causeway from HelloKitty to KL. Arrived at around late evening.

Reply to: JB or not JB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted