We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsure of next option as trains booked out

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
200 reviews
Unsure of next option as trains booked out

Hi everyone,

We are going from Singapore to Johor Baru this Saturday and we’re planning on taking the train but last night I discovered it is fully booked until 5.30pm but we need to be there for a 6pm event so this is no longer an option.

There are 3, possibly 4 of us. All with luggage. Are we better off going for a taxi or bus?

Is there much difference time wise?

I have heard some say bus is great but my in-laws said they drop you off and you have to “run” to the other side through customs or they leave without you?.

So confused!

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,494 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Unsure of next option as trains booked out

Do you just want to get to the area near the train station or somewhere else? A Malaysian registered cross-border taxi from Ban San Street can bring you to anywhere in Johor (around S$70 to JB City Centre). A Singapore registered cross-border taxi can only bring you to Larkin Terminal for S$48. Will your luggage fit in one taxi?

For buses, you don't need to run unless you are taking a direct coach service to places like KL and Malacca whereby you have to reboard the same bus. For bus services that go just to Johor, you can board other buses from the same company after the Causeway. However, there is no dedicated space for storing luggage on the buses and the buses can be very crowded. https:/…

Edited: 01 October 2018, 08:02
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,494 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Unsure of next option as trains booked out

http://yqtravelling.com/singapore-jb-bus/

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Unsure of next option as trains booked out

Hi 64,

I did this trip in April and as per Minx the taxi from Ban San Street Taxi rank is easy and they do a per person S$12 i think to Larkin. As there were 5 of us (3 kids) and all only with carry on I talked to the drivers hanging around waiting and got a Malaysian driver to drive all 5 of us to JB Sentral for S$60. No getting out of the taxi at either checkpoint just a quick passport check. The journey took about 45min but it was early on a weekday going against the traffic. I would leave early to account for traffic on a Saturday afternoon.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
200 reviews
4. Re: Unsure of next option as trains booked out

Thanks everyone. We are staying Just near JB Sentral. Do the taxi’s come across the bridge near there?

I think a taxi may be the way to go.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Unsure of next option as trains booked out

If u need to dropoff in JB Sentral area , then u need to get yourself into a Malaysian-registered cross border taxi..

I'm pretty sure that Singapore-registered taxis are officially only allowed to dropoff all passengers at Larkin Sentral...

So if its your turn at the queue at the Queen Street Taxi stand & it's a Singapore-registered taxi , you"ll have to let others behind you , board the taxi...

Don't waste your time travelling by cross border taxi to Larkin Sentral & then travelling back to JB Sentral to your hotel, near the CIQ Complex...

Cheers

Scooby

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Unsure of next option as trains booked out

With luggage definitely go by Taxi, if using bus you need to carry your luggage with you while passing each CIQ.

Reply to: Unsure of next option as trains booked out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Johor Bahru
Recent Conversations