We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johor Bahru with family

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Johor Bahru with family

Good morning people!

We (me along with my wife and our 4 year old daughter) are traveling to Malaysia (from India), for a total of 10 days - 2 nights at JB, 3 at KL and 4 at Penang & Langkawi. A few queries:

1. We are landing in KL at 8.05 hours and then have a flight for JB at 12.05 hours. Hope 4 hours would be good enough for us to clear immigration at KL, go through the domestic transfers, and catch the flight for JB. We are traveling with hand baggage only.

2. We land in JB at around 1-1.15 pm. Will go directly to the hotel, check in, take a couple of hours rest and then go out at around 3 pm. We will have this day and the next full day (1.5 days total). Would it be possible for us to cover Hello Kitty town, Thomas Town, Angry Bird Park and Legoland (both theme park as well as water park)? If yes, how do we plan it?

3. Apart from the above, we would also want to visit the night market on Monday (we are there in JB on Sunday and Monday, and will fly to KL on Tuesday morning.

4. Keeping the above plan in mind, which area of JB should we stay in? Also if someone could suggest a good 3/4 star family hotel.

Thanks a lot in advance. Look forward to help from you guys...

14 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Johor Bahru with family

1. 4 hours should be a very comfortable transit time without having to collect checked in baggage.

2. I only have experience with the Legoland (before the water park) and we spent a whole day here. Ask yourself what are your priorities. You will be investing in several admittance fees, just to spend a couple of hours and tick them off. Can you squeeze another day into your itinerary if you really want to see them all, or if you must see more, can you do one in the afternoon when you arrive (check the later opening hours?)

3 & 4 - open google maps and "star" the places you want to visit, then find a hotel in the middle of that area. I'm not familiar with the pasar malam on Monday, but we visited Jonker Street for the food instead during our visit.

Good luck with your planning!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
192 reviews
2. Re: Johor Bahru with family

legoland have got the dry ( amusement ) park and wet park. I did 1 day each and we manage to cover everything and did some repeats for those which my kid liked. In 1 day both park you are certain to miss some show or some rides.

Hello Kitty town, Thomas Town- Is actually in a single building. Its right next to Hotel Jen. If you choose this hotel to stay in then you can walk right over. This place could take 1/2 day because there are numerous cartoon characters and they have their own shows and activities. So if your kid want to join all of them you need to wait it out for the characters to show up or wait for the schedule timing. We were there the entire day though.

Hotel Jen is not in a central location. But its next to your Hello Kitty town and they provide free shuttle to legoland which is about 15 minutes away. Please check if they still have it.

So if you only have another 1 or 2 places to visit in JB and dont mind using Grab Taxi then i think you can choose Hotel Jen. Its a 4 star hotel by the way and worked well for me for short stay.

Edited: 02 September 2018, 18:42
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Johor Bahru with family

Thanks for the inputs @TN007. I agree that just ticking off the boxes doesn't help. So I think I may have a fair idea now about what all we should be doing.

I guess Hello Kitty Town should be good for my 4 year old daughter. Thomas Club may not excite her (I'm assuming that 😀). So we can just check in to the hotel and leave for this place.

Next day we'll go to Legoland and spend almost the entire day there (at the theme park only). From there we can come to the night market.

We can skip Legoland water park as we will be spending 4 days at Penang and I guess we'll have enough time to spend in the hotel pool and the sea.

Thanks again.

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Johor Bahru with family

Thanks @KYGan777. As stated above, I guess we'll skip the Thomas Club and the Legoland water park.

Hotel, I've just booked KSL. Appears to be a decent place and good connectivity. We'll be using Grab majorly and hence commuting should not be an issue.

Slightly on a different tangent... I've heard a lot about safety issues in JB. Is the night market safe with family, if we want to venture out till say 11-12 in the night?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,449 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Johor Bahru with family

Your post will likely be deleted as advertising is banned on TA #5.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Johor Bahru with family

Edit: I just realised (after reading another post) that I mistakenly said "Jonker" street market, which of course is in Penang! Actually in JB, the food market/street is Jalan Meldrum!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
157 reviews
7. Re: Johor Bahru with family

Looking at your original posting above, 4 destinations in my view are simply too many in 10 nights.

Consider Penang or Langkawi I suggest.....................

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,200 posts
209 reviews
8. Re: Johor Bahru with family

TN007 - maybe too much sunshine😀 Jonker Street is in Melaka, not Penang.

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Johor Bahru with family

XaqhraDream - I agree, and hence we've decided that this time it's only going to be Penang. Langkawi for the next trip :-)

Edited: 16 September 2018, 09:59
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Johor Bahru with family

Good morning people!

Some issue with my hotel booking at KSL, and hence we have now booked Citrus Hotel. Appears to be a decent hotel. And since we've booked a Deluxe room, so i guess space etc shouldnt be an issue.

So as discussed earlier, we have 1.5 days (post 3 PM on Sunday and whole of Monday). Keeping in mind the place of stay, we've kind of put in a plan, which whether is doable or not, would need your expert comments friends.

23rd Sep (Sun) - Citrus Hotel to Danga Bay. Spend some time there. Should be a bit light for us, and some rides for my 4.5 year old daughter. Back to hotel.

24th Sep (Mon) - Citrus Hotel to Legoland. Reach Legoland at around 10 am. Spend around 5-6 hours there (just the dry park). I guess this much time should be good enough with a 4.5 year old. Leave for Puteri Harbour. Spend some time at the water front area. And then go to Hello Kitty Town. Have dinner there itself, and then back to hotel.

Request your views as to if this is doable or not. Thanks in advance.

Reply to: Johor Bahru with family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted