We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

Hi everyone,

I am planning to take the Resort Shirakami from Akita to Shin-Aomori. And then from Shin-Aomori travel to Towada-ko and spend one night there, do Oirase stream the next day and then head to Hakodate.

My schedule:

14/09/2016:

1. Akita → Shin-Aomori via Resort Shirakami

- 0820-1322

2. Store luggage + book seat on bus to Towadako at JR office

1322-1350

3. Bus Shin-Aomori → Towada-ko

- 1350-1643

- bus schedule: jrbustohoku.co.jp/pdf_data/towada0215ver.pdf

15/09/2016:

1. Bus Towadako→ Nenokuchi

- 0830-0843

2. Walk Oirase stream (Nenokuchi → Ishigedo)

- 0843-1052

3. Bus Ishigedo → Shin-Aomori station

- 1052-1304

4. Collect luggage

- 1304-1331

5. Train Shin-Aomori → Hakodate

- 1331-1502

My questions are:

1. Is my schedule workable? In particular I'm concerned about having enough time to stash my luggage in a locker (I'm planning to only bring an overnight bag as I'm hiking Oirase stream on the way back) and book a seat on the bus to Towadako at the JR office on 14/07/2016 (Step 2)?

2. The bus schedule to/from Towadako (jrbustohoku.co.jp/pdf_data/towada0215ver.pdf) has certain dates where the bus timings are different? I'm a little confused by that and just wanted to confirm that the bus timings I've chosen are correct for the dates of my travel?

3. I've given myself quite strictly 2 hours to cover Oirase stream - is this adequate? Are there certain sections that are more interesting/beautiful?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Oirase
Oirase
4 Reviews
Aomori, Japan
Nebuta Museum Wa Rasse
Architectural Buildings, Conference & Convention Centres, Speciality Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Sannai-Maruyama Ruins
Historic Walking Areas
8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

Your chosen bus schedule from Shin-Aomori to Towada-ko is correct, no worry there. The concern is the Oirase Stream part because 2 hrs are not enough for the walk from Nonokuchi to Ishigedo which is about 9 km apart. It would take close to 3 hrs even without stopping for taking photos!

www.eco-oirase.com/ja/walking/img/walking.pdf

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

2 hrs is indeed not realistic to cover the walking trail of abt 14km on foot.

https:/…oirasestream.html

if you don't drive, options are

1. Take the earliest bus

2. take a later bus to return to Shin-Aomori

3. Rent a bike from Nenokuchi and return in Yakeyama

4. stop by at certain sections like Choushi Ootaki, Kumoino Taki, Ashura-no-nagare, ishigedo, samidare-no-nagare etc. while take bus at sections to reduce it to roughly 3 hrs.

In general, Towada-ko, Oirase stream and Mt Hakkoda along the bus route are all worthy to allocate 1 day each to visit and enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Oirase
Oirase
4 Reviews
Aomori, Japan
Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

Hello, thank you both for the helpful answers. I have some follow up questions:

1. Am I not already taking the earliest bus? When I looked at the schedule, the earliest bus I can take on 15/09/2016 leaves Lake Towada at 8.30am right? (or did I read it wrongly?)

2. If I were to cycle, how long would it take me? I'm planning to end my journey at Ishigedo. Also I have found on the internet that the bike rental at Nenokuchi is likely to open at 8.30am. Is this accurate?

3. Is there any way I can get to Nenokuchi earlier without bus/ferry? Possibly taxi? If so, how much would that be roughly?

Thank you all once again (:

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

Glad to see that you have done proper research, nothing pays off more than thorough planning and careful reading!

Again you are reading right about the bus schedule. There is an earlier special bus leaving Towada-ko at 8.00 but unfortunately it only runs during the autumn foliage season and won’t start operating till late Oct. Not sure about bike rental in Nenokuchi and there is also the concern about the possibility of dropping it off in Ishigedo. Using a bike for the 9 km would allow you to do it within 2 hrs with photo stops.

The 14 min taxi ride from Towada-ko to Nenokuchi is about 3250 yen.

nihon-kotsu.co.jp/taxi/fare/simulation.html…

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

Thank you for your replies! I shall spend some time looking through my itinerary again to find what works/fits best. :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
620 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

I will be coming from Hakodate to Towadako. I had the timing for the bus from Aomori and Hachinohe stn. But if the bus from shin-aomori is 0830, it seem it is a better choice.

Can advice the English version of the bus schedule from Shin-aomori?

Mentioned in this post
Hachinohe
Hachinohe
Aomori Prefecture, Japan
Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/route/detail/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
620 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako

Will be coming from Noboribetsu, may be arriving Aomori 1621 or 1829. plan to take the 0750 bus to Lake Towada next day.

if arrive 1621, office should be open to buy ticket for next day?

if arrive 1829, office will be closed? can purchase the ticket early the next day for the 0750 schedule?

optionallly can I purchase the tickets earlier from internet or so bwfore arriving Aomori?

going in october.

Reply to: Bus Timings for 1 night at Towadako
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted