We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

Moseulpo, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

Hello! I am planning on taking my road bike from Aomori Shi to Towadako, around Oirase and to Hachinohe. But I am slightly concerned about my physical ability (and my bikes condition) to handle going up the mountain for such a long ride. Does anyone know if it is possible to take a bicycle on the JR bus going to Towada? I have a bike bag and I can remove the tires.

Thanks!

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

I believe on highway buses you can store it in the compartments underneath. This is interesting

kancycling.com/Getting_Started/Using_Bikebag…

Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

If the bus has a luggage compartment in the belly, then you can put it there. I've seen one my acquaintance dounbg just that on the JR bus between Sendai and Niigata. Better to have it clean and folded/disassembled so it won't foul other people's bags, of use a bikebag.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,870 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

Rules with some bus companies. JR buses will be similar:

http://www.busnoru.jp/sp/rinko/

travel.willer.co.jp/campaign/load-a-bike/

Only certain buses allow bicycles to be carried, and probably requires reservation as number of bikes carried per bus is limited.

Edited: 19 April 2017, 17:36
Moseulpo, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

Thank you everyone! This was all really useful. This was surprisingly difficult for me to find information on.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2 posts
605 reviews
5. Re: Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

Hello! I was a resident of this area until 2013! The bus you've mentioned is quite wonderful route!

The all of bus types on the route are long distance/ intercity / sightseeing style.All of them has a luggage compartment. But Japanese bus companies are very sceptical of the passengers who travels with bicycle. I think there's enough space for bicycle (but mostly have to be taken it apart) except the season of autumn leaves , but the company is recommending using the courier services.

6. Re: Bringing a bicycle on a JR Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2018, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Aomori