We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Tohoku

1 post
1 week in Tohoku

Hi all,

I'm planning a one week trip to Tohoku followed by Tokyo. Have not booked anything but hope to get some comments on this itinerary to see if it's feasible and if i need to make any changes. Appreciate any comments. I will be travelling using public transport only and am planning to stay near the JR stations. and my main reason for visiting is to see the autumn scenery.

26 Oct to 28 Oct: Aomori

visit Mt Hakkoda, Hirosaki Castle

Take the JR bus to Lake Towada.

28 Oct to 29 Oct: Lake Towada and Oirase Stream (i saw that it is recommended to stay near Lake Towada?)

29 to 31 Oct: Akita. (what is the best way to get to Akita from Lake Towada? should i take the JR bus to the nearest station then the train there?)

plan to visit Kakunodate, Lake Tazawa, Former Ikeda Family Garden, Dakigeiri Gorge

I was deciding between Akita and Miyagi but it seemed like there's more to see in Akita.

31 Oct to 2 Nov: Yamagata

planning to visit Mt Zao, Yamadera, Koyo River Gorge

2 Nov - heading to Tokyo.

Please let me know if my travel plan looks good. Thank you!

18 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
1. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

All the mentioned places are nice and I think you have done some good research. The only concern is that to cover all in a week using public transports with infrequent train + bus connection the trip would be quite rushed.

There are accommodations in both Oirase Stream and Towada-ko, but yes Towada-ko has the slight edge of more choices with the added bonus of lake cruise and scenic walk along the shore.

Different prefectures have different appeals. Miyagi is nice with Matsushima a highly popular destination and Sendai is considered a gateway to the region of Tohoku.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
2. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

Hi William,

oh yes, unfortunately it is a bit rushed as my husband has limited days of leave. i may skip one prefecture and stay more days at the other bases then. or i may shorten my visit to Tokyo.

i see that Lake Towada is a popular place and the cheaper accommodations are no longer available. would Lake Tazawa offer comparable scenery? i might decide to stay in that area instead.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
3. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

Oh no, don’t skip Towada-ko! Lake scenery there is more beautiful than Tazawa-ko, and you are there at the right time for autumn foliage. It’s pity that you have to rely on public transport. We drove from Aomori to Towada-ko making photo stops along the way and fully enjoyed the autumn colour in that part of Tohoku.

Edited: 02 July 2018, 22:32
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
4. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

ah yes, i managed to book a room on Japanican for Towadako even though the rooms were sold out on other platforms.

now, my plan is to stay for 3 nights at Aomori, 1 night at Towada and 3 nights at Yamagata. i do feel that it is a more comfortable space. yes, it's a little sad that i have to take public transport but i'll make do and admire the sights on the bus.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
5. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

Nice to see that you have secured a place in Towada-ko. I’m sure you will enjoy your stay there. Besides the lake cruise don’t forget to take a romantic stroll along the lake shore especially at dusk, hopefully with the majority of day visitors gone.

Nothing wrong with staying 3 nights in Yamagata as it is a good base for Zao and Yamadera, just that personally I would rather choose Sendai as it is the perfect base for Matsushima. Although a slightly longer ride there is still direct rail link between Sendai and Yamadera. And there is the delicious gyutan in town that makes us going back to Sendai again and again.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

oh i see. can i get to Mt Zao from Sendai too?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
7. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

True that Yamagata is a more convenient base for Zao as there is direct bus connection. From Sendai you have to take a 80+ min train to Yamagata first for the connecting bus. If you don’t mind changing hotels it would be best to spend a night in Yamagata and do a day trip to Zao. Then spend a couple of days in Sendai and do a day trip to Matsushima. Yamadera can be done as a day trip from either Yamagata or Sendai, shorter train ride from Yamagata though.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
8. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

i may decide to stay in Yamagata and do a day trip to Sendai + Naruko Gorge. the Gyutan does sound very delicious.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
9. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

With limited time in Sendai the most convenient place to try out its gyutan are those restaurants on 3/F of the JR station.

https://kisuke.co.jp/shop/jrsendaieki

https://macaro-ni.jp/2402

https://r.gnavi.co.jp/t274206/

https:/…gyutandori.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
10. Re: 1 week in Tohoku

Thank you so much, William! Will update if I have any further questions.

Reply to: 1 week in Tohoku
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tohoku