We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

Meridian, Idaho
4 posts
Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

We are moving internationally and have a 5 day stop in Tokyo in transit. We are a family of 5 that will have 10 suitcases, and 5 carry-ons. I'm always one to pack light, so this makes me absolutely cringe but it is the essentials we'll need to run a household for a few months.

Should we pay the fees and store the bulk of the luggage at the airport. (That will add up over 5 days but will simplify life)

or I think our only other option is the limobus to accommodate that much luggage, correct?

I have yet to book accommodations and we arrive in 2 1/2 weeks. I believe we will have to do an airbnb to accommodate my whole family. The problem with that is we won't have door to door dropoff with all that luggage.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
190 helpful votes
1. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

If I were in a similar case, I would definitely leave most things at the airport depository.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
29,932 posts
29 reviews
57 helpful votes
2. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

If you can take the luggage on a plane, the limousine bus can handle it. If you stay at a hotel which is a limousine bus stop, there is very little luggage handling required on your part, as hotel staff will pick up the bags from curb side.

Luggage storage at the airport is charged by calendar day. So you could be paying for 6 days.

I believe it is also possible to "ship" the bags from airport back to airport and post date the delivery for 5 days. So that's under 2000 each piece vs storage fee of 4000+

Meridian, Idaho
4 posts
3. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

bibimbob, "ship" the bags from the airport? As in, the luggage never leaves the airport but I "ship" them for the cheaper fee?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
4. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

you can send the luggage to forwading company's sales office and deliverly date can be also specified. This is a general rule.

So, what if you send something at NRT to forwarding company's sales office in NRTand specify the deliverly date as 5days later?

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Arita-cho, Saga Prefecture
Level Contributor
9,673 posts
24 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

If each family member can carry two suitcases and one carry-on, you could get all your stuff on the airport limousine bus or the Narita Express train (which has luggage racks). Book a hotel near a stop for these services. You will likely need two hotel rooms.

Don't even try to use a regular train line or subway line with all this stuff, even at off-peak hours!

Another idea would be to stay at an airport hotel (Toyoko Inn, for example) which has a shuttle bus to the airport. You'd save on hotel costs and luggage storage expense, but Narita is a long way from Tokyo so you'd have to consider the time and train fare to commute to Tokyo.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
24 reviews
51 helpful votes
6. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

I would just pay to store 5 of the suitcases at the airport. Some things are worth paying for--

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

Hello,

Planning for my trip next year..

We will stop in Japan for 10 days coming back from Europe and in transit to Australia. We will have a lot of luggages which we will not need in Japan for 10 days.

So, can we store luggage for 10 days in the airport and also, would you know how much is it per piece?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
29,932 posts
29 reviews
57 helpful votes
8. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

http://www.jalabc.com/english/index2.html

http://www.gpa-net.co.jp/07_baggage/

Max storage 30 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

Perfect, thanks. Not cheap, anyway...

3 posts
10. Re: Arriving in Narita with a lot of luggage, how to manage?

Hi. You seem to be informed. My son will be arriving at Narita airport tomorrow night at 8:20 pm and from what he is reading, the last bus to Tokyo leaves at 8:50. He is assuming he wont make it and is concerned about finding a reasonably priced option at that hour. He has never been before and doesn't speak the language. Do you have any tips? Thanks