We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo travelers guide/advice

Auburn...
7 posts
Save Topic
solo travelers guide/advice

CAn anyone refer me to a well known travel agency/online tour company that is flexiable and trustworthy/well known?

please let me know of the conpany/reccomendations if so...

Japan Awaits
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Joyful Travel Japan
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Dokotrip
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo travelers guide/advice

For solo travelers, it might be better to do it by yourself, if you want it to be flexible. Japan is easy to do- perhaps more than you do a tour of your home country.

Japan-Guide and JNTO websites are good departure points. Really, all you need is a good guidebook (most information is already there in the above two sites), a passport, your wallet (cash and credit card), air ticket, and perhaps JR Pass.

Mentioned in this post
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo travelers guide/advice

I have travelled to Japan 3 times on trips organised by Inside Japan.

I haven't gone on any of their tours, because I don't generally like tours, but if you want flexibility you need something a bit more customised in any case.

My first trip to Japan was a solo Garden Self-Guided Adventure in which I stretched the 2 week itinerary to 3 1/2 weeks, dropped one destination and added 2 more.

The self guided adventures are about a dozen suggested itineraries where the accommodation and transport are booked along with private guides and experiences. They can be tweaked, (I like to travel more slowly and spend at least 2 nights in a place) but they are an excellent place to start planning. They are not tours as you are the only one on the trip.

The second and third trips, I had Inside Japan tailor trips for me. I just told them what places looked interesting to me and what I had particularly enjoyed on previous trip/s.

The 2nd trip was entirely solo, the third trip was 5 weeks, two of which were solo, three weeks travelling with my husband (who also travelled solo for 2 weeks. My husband loved Japan and came away saying that it was easier for travelling than western Europe, due in part, I suspect, to how easy it is to follow Inside Japan's instructions.

Neither of us speaks Japanese,

IJ looked at the palces we wanted to go, then proposed an itinerary, I commented on it, we tweaked it some and finally agreed a final plan.

Inside Japan then booked the accommodation, sorted out the transport (including buses and a ferry ticket) and, on the last trip, a private guide at Nikko and a ticket for me to see a Sumo Match in Nagoya.

You are provided with a booklet for your trip with all the details as well as destination guides for things your might want to do there at the destination.

I have found the company honest, efficient, reliable and a joy to deal with.

If I could find such an agency to deal with all the places on my wish list, I would never book a trip myself. (Although of course I would still read guidebooks to know where I wanted to go and what I wanted to see/do)

insidejapantours.com/self-guided-japan-holid…

Edited: 20 September 2012, 22:18
Mentioned in this post
3. Re: solo travelers guide/advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:49