We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo travelers guide/advice

Auburn...
7 posts
Save Topic
solo travelers guide/advice

CAn anyone refer me to a well known travel agency/online tour company that is flexiable and trustworthy/well known?

please let me know of the conpany/reccomendations if so...

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,919 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo travelers guide/advice

For solo travelers, it might be better to do it by yourself, if you want it to be flexible. Japan is easy to do- perhaps more than you do a tour of your home country.

Japan-Guide and JNTO websites are good departure points. Really, all you need is a good guidebook (most information is already there in the above two sites), a passport, your wallet (cash and credit card), air ticket, and perhaps JR Pass.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo travelers guide/advice

I have travelled to Japan 3 times on trips organised by Inside Japan.

I haven't gone on any of their tours, because I don't generally like tours, but if you want flexibility you need something a bit more customised in any case.

My first trip to Japan was a solo Garden Self-Guided Adventure in which I stretched the 2 week itinerary to 3 1/2 weeks, dropped one destination and added 2 more.

The self guided adventures are about a dozen suggested itineraries where the accommodation and transport are booked along with private guides and experiences. They can be tweaked, (I like to travel more slowly and spend at least 2 nights in a place) but they are an excellent place to start planning. They are not tours as you are the only one on the trip.

The second and third trips, I had Inside Japan tailor trips for me. I just told them what places looked interesting to me and what I had particularly enjoyed on previous trip/s.

The 2nd trip was entirely solo, the third trip was 5 weeks, two of which were solo, three weeks travelling with my husband (who also travelled solo for 2 weeks. My husband loved Japan and came away saying that it was easier for travelling than western Europe, due in part, I suspect, to how easy it is to follow Inside Japan's instructions.

Neither of us speaks Japanese,

IJ looked at the palces we wanted to go, then proposed an itinerary, I commented on it, we tweaked it some and finally agreed a final plan.

Inside Japan then booked the accommodation, sorted out the transport (including buses and a ferry ticket) and, on the last trip, a private guide at Nikko and a ticket for me to see a Sumo Match in Nagoya.

You are provided with a booklet for your trip with all the details as well as destination guides for things your might want to do there at the destination.

I have found the company honest, efficient, reliable and a joy to deal with.

If I could find such an agency to deal with all the places on my wish list, I would never book a trip myself. (Although of course I would still read guidebooks to know where I wanted to go and what I wanted to see/do)

insidejapantours.com/self-guided-japan-holid…

Edited: 20 September 2012, 22:18
3. Re: solo travelers guide/advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:49