We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

Hi all, I am looking for a Fugu restaurant in Tokyo. I had visited one in Shinjuku Kabuki area during my last visit. But I had lost their name card and was told that they had moved. This restaurant had many branches, like in Ikebukuro and Ginza....

If anyone know of this restaurant or any Fugu restaurant to recommand? Thanks.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
984 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

ng.s.s,

We eat Fugu only in winter.

There are some restaurants where they serve fugu all season. Who goes there?

http://www.tettiri.com/html/menu.html

http://www.mikiikebukuro.com/page5.html

http://www.mikiikebukuro.com/

http://www.uosei.com/

http://www.aflat.com/shop/minatoku/santora/

Do you eat fugu in summer?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

Every major dining area has fugu shops. What do you mean by, "all season" in your message? All winter?

<<<There are some restaurants where they serve fugu all season. Who goes there?>>>

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
984 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

I do not agree with a view of 'Every major dining area has fugu shops.' No authentic rastaurant serve fugu other than winter.

Look for fugu in Yokohama tomorrow!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

Hi, ng.s.s.

I think what you're looking for is "Genpin-Fugu, Shinjuku-3chome-no-Seki"

I got it from the https mentioned by nomonomo. Thank you, nomonomo.

Refer to the follwing:

www.tettiri.com/html/shop/t_sanchome.html

Judging from the way they name 'Fugu dishes' in that restaurant, I think the whole-chain of the restaurants developed from Osaka, where restaurants dealing in that bloated fish cater its meat to all gourmets in the Kwansai area during winter-spring months. (You know something? The average Tokyoite call a dish of Sashimi-like Fugu 'Fugu-Sashi' not 'Tessa' as the menu goes, for instance)

Unlike many other Fugu restaurants in Osaka,the restaunt I mentioned above says they can serve Fugu all the year around.

I'm so envious. Eating Fugu in a warmer season of the year is a kinda luxury to us, Osakawans.

I'm wondering if there's a place people can savor Fugu somewhere along the Orchard Street. Newton Circus, p'raps?

Enjoy your trip-la!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

n.g.s.s.

One more thought to Fugu dish.

Like nomonomo said earlier, the best season for tasting Fugu starts somewhere around early winter, ending in earky spring.

You might want to know why you can eat the superbly tasty white fish meat even in late April, or in mid-summer for that matter.

The reason is because they keep Fugu in their own glass-covered, artificial fishpond. The moment you come through the noren(small curtain)hung at the entrance, you'll find it. Some bloated fish or Fugu swimming innocently right in there...(when they get angry, they get bloated, I hear) Their bulging faces are sort of cute, I imagine.

Compared to the fugu caught during the prime season, those in the fishpond may somewhat be lacking in 'hagotae' or proper toughness liked by a gourmet. Other than that, fugu kinda cultured in the artificial pond is not that different than fresh fugu caught in the sea, taste-wise. And just as Route246 says, that's the way it is with them running the fugu restaurant nowadays.

Lastly, fugu is written this way in kanji or chinese character in Japan.

河豚: the first part means 'river' and the second 'pig' (whereas 海豚(iruka or dolphin) is made up of 'sea' and 'pig' respectively)

Well, I hate to be misleading; nobody eats dolphin here. P'raps you'll find that kanji along with pictures of fugu on the noren.

Incidentally, it is only recently that I came to tell fugu from dolphin in kanji. Loll!

see ya

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

Um, yes they do eat dolphin in Japan. There was a big stink about it on another travel forum and my Japanese husband & I did a search on it and sho 'nuf there was a whole webpage devoted to a village that harvested and ate dolphins. Annually. Even today. Goes waaaaaaay back to even to France, where dolphin was eaten instead of meat (for religious purposes they shunned meat, but the royalty craved it and they started harvesting dolphins to satisfy their carnivorous cravings)THUS the Chinese characters for "pork of the sea".

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

Thanks, Beckoning Cat

You were damn right when you said 'pork of the sea', not 'the pig of the sea' like I said earlier.

But there's one thing I want to make clear that can defend the right of the people in a remote fishing village somewhere along the southwestern coast of the Japan Sea.

Unlike some blue blood in medieval Europe, theirs is not a carnivorous eating habit but something that came out necessity.

I don't quite like to argue here, but those fishermen had a big problem when they had a great number of dolphins jumping over the fishnet in the offshore, devouring tuna. That led to the massacre, which I sort of abominate, of course. The total carnage happened not in the sea but on the beach, I must admit, after the fishermen had decided never to let that happen again and thus cornered the dolphins toward land, where they beat lovely creatures to death.

To make the matter worse for those fishermen, some news correspondent took a photo of them brandishing wooden bats around and sent it world-wide.

As to why they ate the meat, I have no idea. But the bottom line is p'raps they just couldn't leave the corpses scattered around on the beach; nor could they possibly afford to pay for them taken away by sanitary inspectors in their cimmunity. I hate to say this, but that can't be helped and whatever happened can't be all that bad, either.

I might be putting off some people reading this, but that's the case with them fishermen trying to save their own life.

Mercy on them, please.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

You don't think so? When I say "major dining area" I mean Shibuya, the Ginza, Shinbashi, Akasaka, Yokohama station underground, etc. I know there is two of them, one near Takashimaya and one in the Diamond in Yokohama, for instance in the Yokohama Station area.

I probably can't enjoy fugo tonight or tomorrow. I have to go out with company people. For me, fugu tastes like chewy hirame (halibut), except the sauce is what makes it special.

I need to get ready and leave for the airport in a few hours.

<<<I do not agree with a view of 'Every major dining area has fugu shops.' No authentic rastaurant serve fugu other than winter.

Look for fugu in Yokohama tomorrow!>>>

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

Yes, Shot, and I agree with you! There was a video circulating with the capturing of the dolphins and it was really upsetting one particular group of people- namely those who cannot understand or respect the dining habits of other cultures. (I tell those types to read "Fast Food nation" to get a taste of theri own culture of slaughtering animals for food!)

Fugu smugu. As Nomonomo said, it's the dip that has the taste. Most people like fugu because of its texture- it actually has no taste! I'll eat a $300 fugu dinner when my politician buddies want to treat me, but I'd much rather have sawara sashimi or a plate of (komochi) shishamo because it tastes better!!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,369 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fugu Restaurant in Tokyo?

Fugu is not eaten in the summer, because of the spawning and thus higher toxicity, supposedly.

>>it was really upsetting one particular group of people- namely those who cannot understand or respect the dining habits of other cultures. (I tell those types to read "Fast Food nation" to get a taste of theri own culture of slaughtering animals for food!)

So you don't have problem with those eating dogs and cats?