We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car in Kawaguchiko

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
Rental car in Kawaguchiko

I am planning a day trip from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko in mid November to see some fall colors and Mount Fuji. Is it worth getting a rental car at the station. The service in order to maximize the stay there. My understanding is that public transportation is somewhat limited and could get crowded especially in the fall.

I take it that driving isn’t too stressful and the traffic is not too bad. Is that accurate?

My plan is to visit Churieto pagoda, the ropeway, maple tunnel among other places.

Thanks in advance

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
1. Re: Rental car in Kawaguchiko

A self-drive road trip is indeed a very good means to explore the Fuji Five Lakes region, even better if you can spend a night in Kawaguchiko as the maple corridor is beautifully lighted up after dark.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
2. Re: Rental car in Kawaguchiko

Thanks William.

Are there any challenges to driving like parking troubles or navigation? I am going to be carrying a pocket WiFi. Hopefully I have reception in that area.

Do I need to get any additional insurance? I was planning to get an international permit.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
3. Re: Rental car in Kawaguchiko

We found driving around the Fuji Five Lakes region pretty straightforward, not much steep slopes to negotiate. If your main focus is Kawaguchiko roads are well paved and relatively flat along the shoreline. Being the primary site of the autumn festival we did see many cars around the maple corridor but traffic was still OK with guidance from staff directing cars into the various paid parking lots.

For navigation almost all rental cars are equipped with GPS and more and more are multi-language nowadays. With the correct mapcode input the GPS will guide you to your destination without any problem. With WiFi you can also use google map as a back-up route guidance. If you are just driving for a day I don’t think you need any additional insurance.

Reply to: Rental car in Kawaguchiko
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted