We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Hello, in July we're going to Tokyo, we want to visit Kurakama and also the best streets or market to eat authentic Japanese food, specially sushi. Also of importance is to know how and where to take the train/metro back to the airport.

However, we've heard that nobody in Tokyo speaks English and the signs are in Japanese. How could we move around?

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
13 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Signs are in English too. Get maps, use Google maps, and Hyperdia.com for fares and schedules of trains.

Japan is not that difficult to DIY tour.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,489 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Signs in rail stations/subways/metros etc are both in Japanese (naturally) and in English. Getting around by rail is not an issue.

As for "nobody Speaks English" that is incorrect

Millions of tourists visit Japan every year who do not know a word of Japanese. They get around fine.

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,045 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

www.japan-guide.com is a great travel site for you to check out. Lots of great information about Tokyo and the rest of Japan.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Getting around Japan is extremely easy. Signs in transit areas are usually also in English. While not everyone in Tokyo speaks english it is not uncommom to find someone who is fluent in english and it is usually easy to find someone who speaks very basic english that can point you in the right direction. I would say that I had a more difficult time in Czech republic at a bus station with lack of english than I ever came across when dealing with transit in Japan. With a translator app you will be able to move around fairly easily and I wouldn't worry about it too much. Japanese people tend to be very customer oriented and will do whatever they have to in order to assist you. The language barrier was much much more severe in China for example.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

All Japanese have the knowlege of the basic level of English. We MUST study it 3 years in junior high. And 3 years in senior high. University graduaters study more. In the early 1990s, at the time of Bubble economy/ prosperous era, there is a boom that lots of youngers (now they are 40s to early 50s) went to study abroad for English studies. So you can find someone who can understand your English. Writing English is more easier to understand than hearing/speaking English for most Japanese. Google translation is not 100% accurate, but works good.

Level Contributor
2,762 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Nobody including I in Tokyo speak or understand English (that much), but the direction signs are in English as well as Japanese.

You won't have issues in visiting Kamakura or eating sushi.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kamakura
Kamakura
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Everything you NEED to know is in English, including ‘next stop is...’ etc.

You should have no problems at all navigating around with no knowledge of Japanese. I’ve been there three times in the past 12 months and got on fine with nothing but ‘arrigato-gazaimas’!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Thank you all for your replies. Where can I buy a mobile chip, which brand? and for how much? To navigate in Japan. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,045 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

Please type Sim Card or Pocket WiFi in the forum search box.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?

I did but didn't find an answer. They talk about phones being too advanced in Japan making them incompatible with ours or something like that and having to rent one for about 20 USD per day which I think is quite expensive.

If I have a GSM Samsung S7 can't I simply buy a sim card in Japan?

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: How to move in Tokyo for English-speakers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted