We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yen

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
1 post
Yen

I would like to exchange a few dollars for yen here in US before traveling to Japan.

San Francisco Bay Area------Where?

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,331 Reviews
from US$ 141.10*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
953 Reviews
from US$ 65.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
125 Reviews
from US$ 54.60*
11 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,833 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Yen

Don’t bother. You’ll get a lousy exchange rate. You’re better off pulling yen from an atm at your arrival airport in Japan.

Level Contributor
4,259 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Yen

I think it's wiser to change at the arrival airport, not in USA.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Yen

If you want to get a small amount before arriving to Japan, just go to your bank and get yen. Some banks may not have yen cash at hand but will order it for you. Don't worry about the poor exchange rate in the US, you'll only lose 2-3 dollars at most if you're exchanging a small amount.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,726 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Yen

IF you have an account with Wells Fargo ask which of the branches has foreign currency and get it there. They usually have yen on hand or you can order it.

I always like to have currency before I arrive and the difference for me between getting it from Wells Fargo and getting it at an ATM in Japan is a small number.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
5. Re: Yen

If it helps at all, If you're arriving at Narita, there are about 5 ATMs that you will walk past before there's anything yo walk past that you can spend money on, so technically there's no need to have money in your pocket before you arrive.

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
914 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Yen

@dscottref -

I received 20,000 yen for about $196 US through my bank in the United States. Once I landed in Tokyo, I exchanged US currency for yen at Travelex in Tokyo Station.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Yen

Get the word out to your friends--maybe they know someone who's just returned from Japan and will sell you some leftover yen at the prevailing exchange rate.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
8. Re: Yen

I usually get a minimal ($25) amount of Yen before I leave. I use the Wells Fargo Marina or Financial District branches. Then I use my ATM card at 7-11 cash machines while I'm in Japan. Exchange rates at banks and currency exchanges are not good.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,002 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Yen

Travelex has about the worst rates you can find. Avoid them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,632 posts
659 reviews
10. Re: Yen

Change it in Tokyo or use your ATM card.

Reply to: Yen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted